The Old Folks Home

My youngest brother and his girlfriend have hit five deer in one yr, twice having her new car repaired. Maybe I've just been lucky but I think they just don't pay attention . I've had slight contact and many close calls, once a dumb deer run right into the side of my driver side door. Never any significant damage. Always on the lookout for them, part of living in a deer prominent area, and when you see one, slow the F down fast, even if it's just standing there, never know what they are going to do, usually just run right out in front of you at the last second. They're like big rabbit's. IDK? I feel like telling them five deer in one yr? Learn how to drive..
Figure if I say that though karma, I'll probably total out a car on a deer myself :gig
As soon as i go past the church i start watching for deer on the way home. Saw one in the graveyard tonight. The roads are narrow and curvy, and i pay strict attention to the road. One person died on that road that i know of, a mail carrier.

feel like telling them five deer in one yr? Learn how to drive..
Figure if I say that though karma, I'll probably total out a car on a deer myself :gig

Both parts are so true!

:lau

Moose are the same way. They like to stand motionless in the ditch next to the road until you are right next to them... then they jump into the road.

Both parts are so true!

:lau

Moose are the same way. They like to stand motionless in the ditch next to the road until you are right next to them... then they jump into the road.
I think they like to play chicken. Darned near hit a buck one night, must have missed him by about an inch!

I think the deer here like to try to see how high I can jump. They stand still, just off the path to the greenhouse, and then, when I walk just a few feet away, they snort loudly and take off through the trees.

Yep, the ol' heart gets a workout.

Our thermometer got broken in the hurricane, otherwise, it would have had a workout lately.
Sunday at this time, it was 60°
Monday, it was 26°, and it maxed out at a balmy 36°.
During the overnight, the mercury dipped to 19°, but the daytime high Tuesday rocketed to 41°.
The temperature wasn't supposed to get below freezing last night, but it did - at midnight, it was 29°. It moderated a bit; at 5:00 a.m, it was 34°. then by 6:00, it was 54°, and we are heading for a high of 62°. The muddy ground around the barn is still frozen; when the breeze blows from that direction, it is like standing neer the doorway of a walk-in cooler.

That is a crazy roller coaster ride!

Last edited:
Hi everyone.

Micro so sorry for your loss of your dog. :hugs

Scg I hope you made it to your destination without to much trouble.

Bunnylady this polar vortex mess is horrible to deal with here also. Luckily we did not get any snow this year. But it caused some freeze damage to my purple passion vine. I cut it back below all the damage and covered it with some row cover fabric. I hope it survives.

Back
Top Bottom