The Old Folks Home

I had a cockerel raised by a broody before and he was also very sweet like yours. But, eventually, he picked two girls in the flock and over mated them to the point they were about to go into winter with no feathers on their backs. I kept waiting for a molt to fix the problem, but it never came. I would look at them and could see their featherless wings. In the interest of my flock, I had to get rid of him. My girls came back to life and are beautiful to this day.

I haven't had great luck with cockerels and roosters, but I am very committed this time. One or hopefully both of these cockerels are a permanent part of my flock. :)

I only have one hen that has feather loss on her back and she is an EE hen that was given to me. The boys LOVE her just a little too much but I'm starting to wonder if she doesn't have some secondary condition as every time she shakes out her feathers a few flutter to the floor. I need to make her a saddle and possibly look for feather shaft mites. I had a rooster that had them. Could never see them but when I treated him with Ivermectin his feathers started to grow in again. So I figure it might be worth a try with Cleo.

I always have found it interesting that the roosters will have one hen that they single out that way.

When they get too bare-backed, separate the rooster until the back feathers grow back in. Also, separate the rooster when the hens are in molt.

...or use a chicken saddle. A couple of mine LOVE theirs and wear them like super hero capes. There is one hen, though, that doesn't like clothing and shucks hers faster than a toddler on Naked Day. (Dana Carvey reference...)

Back
Top Bottom