The Old Folks Home

Morning old folk!

Looking at a quieter day here. Less hectic. I have finishing work to do on the new room which is basically done except for crossing the t's and dotting the i's sort of work plus that ever enjoyable clean up.

Plus I need to run into town for a pharmacy run. We had rain overnight, enough to settle the dirt but our blue sky is gone this morning.

Y'all have a great day and enjoy the fall weather.
I hope you enjoy the day!

I am taking the day off to go to a place called Apple Hill in Placer county. It is like an apple festival up there but I do not know what it will be like with Covid restrictions

Morning all. Thank you all for the wonderful comments. :love The pictures were taken in Ohiopyle. It is a state park in southwestern PA. Would love to see paintings of them if anyone does one.
It is a pretty place!

I think there was an art thread on here. If you can find it, maybe you can get someone to turn a photo into a drawing for you!

It's a nippy 45 this morning. Yesterday it only hit 62. Pumpkins are orange-ing and fallen leaves are starting to appear on the lawn; Fall is rapidly approaching.

DH and I tackled the driveway project yesterday. I set out the plants, started the holes with the Mantis, DH excavated, the soil was mixed with compost, plants freed from pots and plopped in the pits then backfilled, moat creation, watering and an application of root stimulant and fish emulsion. It took a mere 3.5 hours (w/potty and water breaks), followed by a snack + naproxen, a needed shower, and a nap. Some hempy goo on the knees helped. Sure can feel all the shoveling in my hips. (Still to do is installing the edging, mulch, directed water lines and solar pathway lights, but we're stalled as we're short on the edging order.)

After a Day of Exertion is a Day of Rest. (That's our optimum performance m.o.) A trip to Trader Joe's is on the agenda. Then deciding what not to do with my day. Planting the two buckets of peonies can wait until tomorrow.

I am taking the day off to go to a place called Apple Hill in Placer county. It is like an apple festival up there but I do not know what it will be like with Covid restrictions

There's a couple of nice wineries up there, too. Apple Hill in the Spring is wonderful, also, with the tree blossoms and swaths of daffodils on the hillsides. I miss the Sierra Foothills. (Lived for a bit in Newcastle/Ophir outside of Auburn)

I bought some 'Behr' exterior paint in the 'sample' size in order to paint the mural on the side of the original coop. It lasted two years and is now peeling and cracking. Nope, not happy either so I share your pain.
That sucks.

I went back to the store yesterday. Different sales guy. He had no idea why they other guy sold me that "paint" rather than something else other than maybe cost. I wasn't looking for the cheapest paint, just something that came in a quart size since I only needed maybe 2 cups. I was going to ask for at least some credit on the replacement paint but he gave it to me without a discussion. So good on him for that. He said people do buy that "sample" paint as a "final", I guess they don't care that is won't last.

Spent an hour today painting the inside of the door ... again. Also painted the exterior of that door and the interior of the outside door (enclosed porch) the same red color that the outside of the 3 exterior doors were painted 7 years ago. Yeah we get right on things ;)

I wish my husband would believe the bit about work and rest. He is go go go.
And YOU are SUCH a lazy slacker! :gig

Wish I was quicker on the pic, saw them all together, four bucks, two fours a spike and the six, small bucks at that distance looked like four does and a fawn. All took place in about ten seconds.
I'd say you were pretty darn fast! Those deer look quite healthy.

I managed to get a little trim work done on the new coop window but mainly worked on mucking out the house since most of last week was spent putting in the new door and then the weekend the new wall on the coop. I've been too tired by the end of the day to do little more than make meals and play with the dogs so it needed it.

They are calling for our first frost over the weekend so time to get the plants in and dig up my gladiolus bulbs.

My new dental tool came in. It's a scaler. I knew my old one was not as sharp, so it wasn't doing as well as it should, but until I got the new one, I didn't realize how pathetic the old one was. My teeth felt clean after using the old one, but they only felt that way. This one is a much better, professional quality one, and boy howdy, it sure makes a difference. It's going to take me a couple nights to get them completely done, and done right.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom