The Old Folks Home

@bruceha2000 I hate to say this but please keep the snow up there from now on. Our yard is drying out, Our feet don't make squishing sounds when we walk across the pasture and the as my husband put it, ice-crete is slowly melting away. He thinks the dogs kicked some dog house straw out of the dog house and it got mixed with the snow freezing into this construction grade ice.

@CSolis! Oh so happy you scored some chicks. Makes it feel like spring, doesn't it? They are adorable. I have one little BBR OEGB hen who loves to be cuddled and every time I reach down to pat her or pick her up she squats for me. I just laugh at her and tell her not to worry, I'm not a rooster and there are no demands, just relax and enjoy the attention. She is the little girl who likes to ride around in the hood of my sweat shirt. I'd love to have about 10 more just like her.

DH went to the city today and picked up our grocery order at HyVee. We hadn't bought groceries for 3 months. I was well stocked up but starting to get low on a few things and wanted to restock the pantry. He got the groceries home and we went to work putting them away, sorting meat, shuffling and rotating. Two hours later, done. I took off to the pond and worked clearing out wild black berry and raspberry plants that are trying to take over the pond. Got a dent in them but a long way to go. DH said he would work on it with the chain saw but he thinks ultimately we need to do a controlled burn around the pond to get rid of the grass and volunteer stuff that has crept in.

Took the 5 ACDs for their daily weight pulling competition. They are so excited to get out that the first 10 minutes are pandemonium consisting of getting their collars and leashes on, then them jumping up and down at the door telling us to hurry up. Then getting them outside without getting sled dogged. Once outside they settle down to business but they are like little kids at the circus at first. I say in another three years they may be getting some common sense. At least I hope they do. They are great when we are walking up hill. I call them our motor assist vehicles.

So now I'm chilling and waiting for my joints to stop hurting. Thank God for the miracle of modern drugs.

@bruceha2000 I hate to say this but please keep the snow up there from now on. Our yard is drying out, Our feet don't make squishing sounds when we walk across the pasture and the as my husband put it, ice-crete is slowly melting away. He thinks the dogs kicked some dog house straw out of the dog house and it got mixed with the snow freezing into this construction grade ice.

@CSolis! Oh so happy you scored some chicks. Makes it feel like spring, doesn't it? They are adorable. I have one little BBR OEGB hen who loves to be cuddled and every time I reach down to pat her or pick her up she squats for me. I just laugh at her and tell her not to worry, I'm not a rooster and there are no demands, just relax and enjoy the attention. She is the little girl who likes to ride around in the hood of my sweat shirt. I'd love to have about 10 more just like her.

DH went to the city today and picked up our grocery order at HyVee. We hadn't bought groceries for 3 months. I was well stocked up but starting to get low on a few things and wanted to restock the pantry. He got the groceries home and we went to work putting them away, sorting meat, shuffling and rotating. Two hours later, done. I took off to the pond and worked clearing out wild black berry and raspberry plants that are trying to take over the pond. Got a dent in them but a long way to go. DH said he would work on it with the chain saw but he thinks ultimately we need to do a controlled burn around the pond to get rid of the grass and volunteer stuff that has crept in.

Took the 5 ACDs for their daily weight pulling competition. They are so excited to get out that the first 10 minutes are pandemonium consisting of getting their collars and leashes on, then them jumping up and down at the door telling us to hurry up. Then getting them outside without getting sled dogged. Once outside they settle down to business but they are like little kids at the circus at first. I say in another three years they may be getting some common sense. At least I hope they do. They are great when we are walking up hill. I call them our motor assist vehicles.

So now I'm chilling and waiting for my joints to stop hurting. Thank God for the miracle of modern drugs.
It sounds like a productive Day!

That's cool. I like HyVees and always used to enjoy shopping there in person. Everyone was friendly and helpful. The funniest thing that ever happened to me there was the day I ran in to pick up a few things. I was wearing jeans and a hoody sweat shirt over a t-shirt and as I had been working in the timber, I had a baseball cap pulled over my head. I wear my hair short. I like it short because wearing a bike helmet or a motorcycle helmet gives you a first class case of helmet hair and long hair just gets too blamed hot. Plus I like getting up in the morning, putting a dab of styling gel on my hand, finger combing my hair and facing the day.

So I was in the frozen food section and there was a young man sitting on the floor stocking the case and I reached around him to grab something out of the freezer. He startled and said. 'Oh, excuse me, Sir!' The local store employs a lot of college students from Truman U and they are all nice kids.

I just cracked up and instead of immediately saying anything I just opened my partially unzipped hoody, pulled it back until it was obvious that I was a she and not a he, and said 'sorry, nope, but no problem.' I've never seen a kid turn so many different shades of red in my life.

When I got out to the car I told my waiting husband that I guess if I was going to keep my hair short I'd better stop wearing base ball caps. :lau

Grrrrrrrrrr... so I drive into town.. they say 'after lunch' on the phone.. I get there no chicks.. finally talk to the supervisor and she says they got an email yesterday saying the shipment was delayed and doesn't know for how long. TSC needs to get their head out of their collective 'places'.
It's the Post office, they have a big backlog and will not put live animals ahead of dead mail.

Mail is is beyond ridiculous. I ordered a book from Ebay that was supposed to be here on the 23rd of February. Got it yesterday.

An item ordered from Amazon was lost for three weeks and finally showed up after the seller marked it as lost in the mail.

I had considered ordering chicks from MMcM but decided not to. Now I'm glad I decided to try to get chicks from my own Fayoumis instead.

Our mail here is usually pretty good. We have a wonderful bunch of ladies running the post office and we can always drop them an email and they are right back to us. I keep them in eggs in gratitude for them doing a thankless job.

Really not much problem with the mail here either.
One thing I noticed was the little Cinnamon buns have been sleeping most of the day while their counterparts were more active, eating and drinking.. So I scooped them up one at a time and gave them some water via eye dropper... That woke their little butts up, and then they nearly chased the eye dropper around. One did find the watering trough though and both are up and at 'em. Eating and drinking now, with eyes wide open. Must have been a bit dehydrated or are younger than the others by a day or so.

Back
Top Bottom