The Old Folks Home

I'm sorry Cap. I need to drink more coffee before I read in the morning. My message should have gone out to @Peep_Show.

I just read about your furchild's passing. I am so terribly sorry. I know the pain you are feeling. They are in our lives such a short time but leave pawprints on our hearts forever. :hugs You did the only thing you could do, you gave him the final gift of love and released his sweet soul to run free with grace and dignity.

I know how disappointed you must be Becky. We has about 200 apples on one of the trees when we lived in TN. We came back to find them all gone, or spoiled by biting by squirrels. Deer etc. Plum trees are especially likely to have a bloom ruined by frost, we have yet to see a plum on our plum trees we planted 3 years ago. We had pears and nectarines last year, but the deer ate most of them . Our pear trees need to be moved this year, since we plan a double garage for that area.
There in an Almond tree on Campus near my office that blooms well each year and even has almonds start...For about a week and the the Squirrels strip them off!

Our diabetic kitty, Johnny Cash is as close as we can reckon, 21 years old. His diabetes is getting the better of him and we are having a hard time controlling it. His days on this earth are dwindling down but we are enjoying each day we have with him.

It's amazing how our furchildren work their way into our lives and our hearts.

This is my favorite.

BRIDGING THE CHASM

Long ago, the Great Spirit caused the earth to tremble; and a rift appeared separating those of the animal kingdom from their human counterparts. As the chasm grew wider and deeper, all creatures great and small ran in fear, but one. A lone dog paced the edge of the abyss, watching the faces of the people on the other side. At a moment when it seemed the animal would no longer be able to breach the divide–and to the amazement of those gathered; he jumped!

He would rather die than be away from the humans he had grown to love. His bond was strong, but only his forepaws reached the other side. Struggling to pull himself up from the chasm’s edge, human hands lifted him safely to side with the humans. Dogs have sided with us ever since; so goes the Ojibwa legend.

I read this whenever we bury one of our canine fur children and it brings tears to my eyes every time I read it.​

This is my favorite dog-love story.

A middle aged man is walking down a country road. Up ahead, he sees a dog that he had as a teenager. There is a very joyful reunion. But then, the man realizes he is dead.

He sits down, the dog sits next to him, and he thinks his situation can't be all that bad: he's in a beautiful place, with his best friend. So he gets up and starts walking down the road, his dog at his side.

He comes up to a beautiful farm. The cows are grazing, the grass is green, birds are singing. A farmer comes up to the fence.

"Hi!" says the farmer.

"Hello," says the man. "Um... can you tell me where I am?"

The farmer laughs. "Oh, son, this is Heaven. The gates over there. Come on in!"

The man walks to the gate. He puts his had on the latch, looks at his dog, then at the farmer. "Can my dog come in too?"

"Sorry, no," the farmer says, shaking his head. "Dogs aren't allowed in Heaven."

The man's hand drops from the gate. "Oh. Well. I think I'm going to keep walking."

The farmer shrugs. "Suit yourself."

The man walks along, his dog trotting happily at his side. About an hour later, he see another farm, and this one looks just as beautiful, if not more so, than the last. He pauses at the fence. A farmer waves to him and walks over.

"Hello there!" says the farmer.

"Hi," says the man. "Can you tell me where I am?"

"This is Heaven. Welcome. Come on in."

"Can I bring my dog?"

"Of course! Your dog is just as welcome."

The man walks through the gate, and the farmer shakes his hand.

"Can you tell me something?" the man asks. "Down the road a ways, I saw another farm like this, and the farmer said it was Heaven and invited me in, but said my dog couldn't come in. So that's why I kept walking."

The farmer nods and smiles. "That was a test. That place is actually Hell. See, we feel that anyone who would leave his best friend behind doesn't deserve Heaven."

Back
Top Bottom