The Old Folks Home

28 here--snow flurries!! for craps sake!
I am 68.78 mi (110.69 km) by the way the crow flies from the Gulf Coast. You would think............
Map added for visual effect.
68 miles.png

The final piece of my computer build, was the monitor. 4K UHD monitors that work with G-Sync (Nvidia) were seriously way too expensive. I narrowed it down to 2 choices, both costing about the same price, but I really wanted the Asus ROG Strix one, since it got better reviews from the 2 experts I trust. I was still contemplating things, when it went on sale. It went from $1,999.00 down to $799.99 at 3 vendor sites. Still very expensive, but more do-able. $799.99 is still expensive, and Dh wanted to wait until the stimulus check got in. When the stimulus check came, all 3 vendors were sold out, and they were on back order. That was the situation for quite some time.

More recently, they have some through Amazon, but it's through one of their vendors, so the price went up to $1,099.00. In the meantime, I had decided to search again, and settle for a less costly one. I scoured the internet, and reviews. There seems to be a shortage of monitors. Yes, there are several of the older models available. Yes, there is a bit better selection of 4K UHD monitors that work with Freesync (AMD). There are a few 2K HD monitors, being misrepresented as 4K, again mostly Freesync, and I need G-sync. I did find 2 other monitors for a little less money, that I'd settle for, BUT once again, they're on back order, or out of stock.

Dh decided to search too. He searched for awhile, and came to the same conclusion I had. At that point, he announced that he had ordered the monitor I wanted.
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-XG27UQ-...=Asus+ROG+strix+monitor&qid=1619092536&sr=8-4

Something else we discovered. He was looking at what it would cost to rebuild his computer. The pricing was decent for everything he wanted, except nobody has any of the medium - higher end graphics cards for sale. Again, they're on back order, or out of stock.

Something else that the supply here is virtually non-existent, is cat food. Several weeks ago, I noticed the supply of Friskies canned cat food was dwindling in all the stores. Even the higher end stuff was in short supply. Last week, there was none to be found, and even the dry cat food, which had been fairly plentiful, was gone too. I was talking to a friend in Jacksonville, and another in Ft. Meyers, and they said the same thing. The stores are ordering the stuff. It's as if China is punishing us, and not sending things.

I just learned in BYH that they are perennials and will stay alive as long as they don't freeze.
I mentioned planting some for the house at the end of the normal season for year long fresh tomato's. I think I'll start.
I keep some in the camper when I travel but set the pots out after I get where I'm going.
Pepper plants are technically perennials too! 😁😁😁

It got down to 56 here last night. A bit unusual for this time of year, down here. It's still a bit chilly, and pretty windy this morning.

Last night, I put the lone pullet in with bigger group. Instead of being on the roost like I expected, they were all piled in a corner. I guess they knew it was going to get chilly. I popped the newcomer in the corner with them. They all settled back down very quickly.

I've been going out on the patio at regular intervals all morning, looking and listening to see how they're getting along. While I can't see a whole lot, I'm not hearing any clamor. I'll walk out later, since I need to do some coop chores today, and make sure they're not keeping her from the feeder, but I don't want to disrupt the peace for now. I opened the other connected coop, so if she needed to retreat, she had plenty of room to get away.

Back
Top Bottom