The Old Folks Home

We let Sid go. They said they couldn't save her. The infection was throughout her small intestines, large intestine and they found a mass in her mesentery. They are going to take her outside, let her lay in the grass under a tree and peacefully go to sleep.

We requested a necropsy. She said they would have the results in 2 weeks and let us know.

@Alaskan, @Sally PB, @CSolis, @ronott1, @penny1960 and everyone else rooting in my sweet Sidney's corner, thank you for your kind words and support.

They are going to cremate her afterwards and disperse the ashes.
My Heartfelt sympathies for you and DH. I know you love/loved that fur baby.

We let Sid go. They said they couldn't save her. The infection was throughout her small intestines, large intestine and they found a mass in her mesentery. They are going to take her outside, let her lay in the grass under a tree and peacefully go to sleep.

We requested a necropsy. She said they would have the results in 2 weeks and let us know.

@Alaskan, @Sally PB, @CSolis, @ronott1, @penny1960 and everyone else rooting in my sweet Sidney's corner, thank you for your kind words and support.

:hugsYou did right by her. She had a great life...much longer and so much better than she would have had you not taken her.

Sally, I sincerely hope Mara gets to feeling better. Hopefully they can get things under control for her and they can get her on medicine.

Thank you so much for reminding me about the Rainbow Bridge. I just got off the phone with the Vet who took care of her on Sunday. They were stunned. I guess pythiosis isn't very common. Leave it to our dogs to get something like this wrong with them. Sigh.

Thank you Al, she was a much loved girl. She would climb up in my husband's and my lap and sit there grinning from ear to ear and dare her siblings to come close.

She was a candle that burned bright for two years, Notafarm. I wish she could have grown old with us.

You gave her and the Sibs a very good life!

Thanks Ron. We try.

We just got back from walking the 4 musketeers. Can't stay too sad when they are bouncing around and so energetic.

The only place we can figure out that Sid may have picked up this tropical parasite is in their little pond. But the mystery is that none of her siblings are showing any symptoms of anything wrong and they are wading and swimming around more than she ever was. Still to be safe we are going to move their run and eliminate the little pond from their fenced in back yard.

Just to be safe. I'm reading a lot of stories about people having problems with this disease in Florida after their dogs swim in a pond. Dr told me today that it is rare in Missouri but not unheard of.

Just a heads up for all of you who have dogs that love to swim.

My heart breaks for you. Hugs.

Thanks Cap. It was a rough decision but when the best veterinary hospital in the state tells you we can't help her, God's pretty much got His hand on her head and it's time for us to move ours.

Neither of us are taking it well. Her three brothers and one sister know something is different but I don't think they have really figured it out yet.

We took them out for a walk today. First in a week almost thanks to DH having more skin cancer whittling done and this happening with Sid. They had fun and yes, we did too.

Last edited:
Got the CT results. Not good. No easy fix. They suspect a fungal infection called Pythiosis. Outcome even with treatment and surgery is poor.

Very heartsick right now. They did a rectal scraping to see if they can see any spores. We are awaiting those results but our hearts are telling us to do what is right for Sidney and let her spirit fly free. But we are waiting to hear from her doctor. I have to say that I am totally awestruck at the treatment Sidney has received and the compassion of the staff. These people rock.

If this is what we are dealing with we have to figure out where she got it from and why the other dogs aren't suffering from it. The fungus populates water. Even mudpuddles.

Never would have thought.:hit
That bridge is there for all us Becky.. One day we will all cross the bridge to be back those that have our hearts

Back
Top Bottom