The Old Folks Home

I used to be a principal musician of a symphony orchestra, became disabled from neck surgery hardware and constant pain. I started watching homestead channels like Coghill, and KC farms, bunch of chicken things, decided chickens would force me outside in winter (it’s snowy enough you can just hole up for weeks sometimes) and I had a lovely coop and run built, waited on and changed my Murray McMurray order for about ten months, and last April 8 I became a chicken poppa! Being older and in pain can be no fun, but, since raising my babies, I really feel better. Even have two varieties of giant pumpkins going along with a mixed French style garden..this site is new for me, I’m enjoying it..
Welcome aboard. I just started last year with the chickens and it's so enjoyable. Even the ones you have to baby along or play nurse with, it's well worth the time and energy spent. Watch out for chicken math. It got me square in the caboose.

Welcome aboard. I just started last year with the chickens and it's so enjoyable. Even the ones you have to baby along or play nurse with, it's well worth the time and energy spent. Watch out for chicken math. It got me square in the caboose.
I agree..I don’t even really care about the eggs, cause they aren’t laying yet..although I bet I’ll get excited. Or eggcited.. My girls will lay a variety of browns and blues. Just uncovered my laying boxes yesterday to get them used to them, put a fake brown ceramic egg in each.

I'm almost there with ya @penny1960 / 35 and counting at the moment, though 3 little bantam cockerels will be leaving soon. That is if I can get someone to take crip. He hatched while I was in the hospital. Amanda was taking care of the eggs in the incubator and the one that failed to hatch after pipping she rescued. He had one splayed leg and the middle toe bent on the other foot. He's getting along fine with his brood mates but will always be a 'rescue project' or pet vs breeding roo. And then there's Bonnie out there sitting on a pile of eggs.

I agree..I don’t even really care about the eggs, cause they aren’t laying yet..although I bet I’ll get excited. Or eggcited.. My girls will lay a variety of browns and blues. Just uncovered my laying boxes yesterday to get them used to them, put a fake brown ceramic egg in each.
Speaking of nursing jobs, back on page 29 is a photo of Prince. He's my one winged wonder. He spent a month in the house with Gator and I while he healed from surgery and got old enough to fend for himself. He's already produced (eggs incubated inside) 6 awesome kids.

:bow I love the sound of French horn...

I played the flute in a small (small-small) college chamber orchestra for a year. It taught me to really appreciate classical music.

Who is/are your favorite composer/s? Favorite pieces?
Well..I played first chair for twenty five years in two orchestras, so..there’s a lot of music, although orchestras generally have about five years worth of programming they recycle over and over cause they won’t be brave. The summer stuff is worse, that’s pretty much the same every year depending on the pops acts booked. Can’t beat Mozart, Brahms, Beethoven, Richard Strauss, Schumann, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, I was the type that never minded playing the standards, I despised modern music that was super technical and sucked. I hated it when ppl would say “oh, that’s because you just don’t understand it..” to which I always replied “all I need to understand is that I don’t like it!”

Back
Top Bottom