The Old Folks Home

My DD used to love Beethoven as a child.
Beethoven is one of my heroes. His 9th Symphony is probably my favorite piece of music.

I was babysitting one time and the kids were asleep. I was looking for a record to listen to... aha! The 9th! Yay. Except it was THE WORST recording I've ever heard. "Complete on one album!" the cover said. Yeah, because they didn't play any of the repeats.

I had to turn it off when Baritone soloist opened the Chorale. He sounded like he was going through puberty. No, I don't know who it was, or the conductor, or orchestra. I wouldn't own up to having anything to do with it, were I involved.

I had more than five big sinus surgeries including a full frontal obliteration and fat packing, and three neck surgeries, two in front, an artificial disc, fusion, then a posterior fusion to fuse all of it..turned out the hardware helped the nerves function to my arms properly, but I was left with intractable neck pain despite muscle relaxants, oxycodone and morphine every day! It’s a delicate balance between all that and French press coffee…
All right there is no doubt about it you are 'one of us one of us gooble gobble gooble gobble one of us one of us....'

Good morning, OF.

@CSolis about bonnie. You say she is setting on a 'pile' of eggs. Perhaps too many for her to efficiently cover. Is there any possibility that other birds are bothering her on the nest - hens wanting to lay or roosters wanting to mate her? Or she just may not be a good broody. Is this her first setting?

Good morning, OF.

@CSolis about bonnie. You say she is setting on a 'pile' of eggs. Perhaps too many for her to efficiently cover. Is there any possibility that other birds are bothering her on the nest - hens wanting to lay or roosters wanting to mate her? Or she just may not be a good broody. Is this her first setting?
She got up to eat then went directly back in to sit. K.E. and Sara are pretty much sticking to the other end of the pen in the new area they like better. I'll see if she's rejected any more today. Would like to see her hatch at least one of them. And yes, this is her first time at being broody. She's a Buff Orpington.

Well..I played first chair for twenty five years in two orchestras, so..there’s a lot of music, although orchestras generally have about five years worth of programming they recycle over and over cause they won’t be brave. The summer stuff is worse, that’s pretty much the same every year depending on the pops acts booked. Can’t beat Mozart, Brahms, Beethoven, Richard Strauss, Schumann, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, I was the type that never minded playing the standards, I despised modern music that was super technical and sucked. I hated it when ppl would say “oh, that’s because you just don’t understand it..” to which I always replied “all I need to understand is that I don’t like it!”
I miss the old movies and cartoons that used orchestra music to set the tone/mood.

Morning everyone!

I love classical music. Ode to Joy ranks up as one of my favorites. The school wanted me to take violin lessons when I was in first grade but my parents passed on it. They said my hand shape was perfect to learn violin.

I'm 68 and still pissed that they passed on it when I was a kid. Their priorities were skewed. Imagine the possibilities, I think now. No bigger thrill than to play in an orchestra.

Cloudy here this morning and it looks like rain. First morning that we don't have to push to get out and either gather, drop trees or spit wood. Ahhhhhh.

Are you guys noticing shortages popping up at the grocery store? I did a three month supply of meat at the local HyVee and they were contacting me about substitutions. Same with Walmart. Waiting to restock several items on my order with them. Blasted Covid!

I love classical music. Ode to Joy ranks up as one of my favorites. The school wanted me to take violin lessons when I was in first grade but my parents passed on it. They said my hand shape was perfect to learn violin.

I'm 68 and still pissed that they passed on it when I was a kid. Their priorities were skewed. Imagine the possibilities, I think now. No bigger thrill than to play in an orchestra.
@microchick , I'm sorry you didn't get that chance.

I soooo wanted to play flute professionally, but knew I didn't have the talent. I had a good tone, but not the fingers to do the hard parts.

I have a good friend who plays piccolo/3rd flute in an orchestra. She makes a picc sing. One time she was gone and someone else played a piece that had lots of picc. It was obvious it wasn't my friend playing, from the tone. The player was good, but the tone was more shrill.

There are some pieces I love to watch live, as well as listen to. The 3rd movement of Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony (pizzicato ostinato) is one of them.

Back
Top Bottom