The Old Folks Home

Beethoven is one of my heroes. His 9th Symphony is probably my favorite piece of music.

I was babysitting one time and the kids were asleep. I was looking for a record to listen to... aha! The 9th! Yay. Except it was THE WORST recording I've ever heard. "Complete on one album!" the cover said. Yeah, because they didn't play any of the repeats.

I had to turn it off when Baritone soloist opened the Chorale. He sounded like he was going through puberty. No, I don't know who it was, or the conductor, or orchestra. I wouldn't own up to having anything to do with it, were I involved.
Male singers are the weakest of all professional musicians..we were doing..oh god, my memory..the opera with the famous stuff Mario Lanza used to translate to English and slay, well..the tenor got to the famous aria, his voice warbled and cracked and he fell off the high note, then the audience couldn’t help but laugh..

@microchick , I'm sorry you didn't get that chance.

I soooo wanted to play flute professionally, but knew I didn't have the talent. I had a good tone, but not the fingers to do the hard parts.

I have a good friend who plays piccolo/3rd flute in an orchestra. She makes a picc sing. One time she was gone and someone else played a piece that had lots of picc. It was obvious it wasn't my friend playing, from the tone. The player was good, but the tone was more shrill.

There are some pieces I love to watch live, as well as listen to. The 3rd movement of Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony (pizzicato ostinato) is one of them.
My love of orchestrated music is complex. I even enjoy movie soundtracks. A friend of mine got to interview John Williams who orchestrated the soundtracks from Jaws, Star Wars and Indian Jones to name a few. She asked him where his inspiration came from and he answered that he didn't know. All he knew was that he set down at the piano and the music just flowed from his fingers.

I wonder if that was the way it was for the masters also.

Morning @silverhair67. Hope you are ready to rise and shine, or at least rise. Shining is a challenge this morning.

@microchick , I'm sorry you didn't get that chance.

I soooo wanted to play flute professionally, but knew I didn't have the talent. I had a good tone, but not the fingers to do the hard parts.

I have a good friend who plays piccolo/3rd flute in an orchestra. She makes a picc sing. One time she was gone and someone else played a piece that had lots of picc. It was obvious it wasn't my friend playing, from the tone. The player was good, but the tone was more shrill.

There are some pieces I love to watch live, as well as listen to. The 3rd movement of Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony (pizzicato ostinato) is one of them.
Yes, adding your sound, having others depend on you, acknowledge your efforts, being always at the top of your game..but, it is stressful and difficult on the body..

My love of orchestrated music is complex. I even enjoy movie soundtracks. A friend of mine got to interview John Williams who orchestrated the soundtracks from Jaws, Star Wars and Indian Jones to name a few. She asked him where his inspiration came from and he answered that he didn't know. All he knew was that he set down at the piano and the music just flowed from his fingers.

I wonder if that was the way it was for the masters also.

Morning @silverhair67. Hope you are ready to rise and shine, or at least rise. Shining is a challenge this morning.
John Williams is a great man..I got to thank him for inspiring me to pursue music..I got to tell him that I was 10-11 when Star Wars came out, it helped inspire me to a successful career in music. He said, “I just love stories like that!,” then signed my Star Wars cd right above Darth Vader’s head, “Dear *, with gratitude, John Williams.” Super guy..never belabored the recording process..we’d play it once, he might make a change or rebalance, play again, move on.

John Williams is a great man..I got to thank him for inspiring me to pursue music..I got to tell him that I was 10-11 when Star Wars came out, it helped inspire me to a successful career in music. He said, “I just love stories like that!,” then signed my Star Wars cd right above Darth Vader’s head, “Dear *, with gratitude, John Williams.” Super guy..never belabored the recording process..we’d play it once, he might make a change or rebalance, play again, move on.
I was a bit older, clears throat, when Star Wars came out but being a big sci fi fan I fell in love with it. I never got to meat Williams or Lucas tho. My friend who interviewed Williams for a college assignment got to meet Lucas and had a first edition of Star Wars signed by him..until it was was destroyed in a fire.

The only one I got to meet was Dave Prowse/Darth Vader in 1980 in Denver at a Sci Fi convention. A bunch of us were standing in a hall talking to him and out of the blue asked if we would like to have lunch with him. Of course we said sure. Super nice guy and size wise every bit the figure he cut as Vader.
@microchick always ready for sunrise, I look at the window, lay head back on the pillow and cover my eyes, today's weather forecast, cloudy with a chance of sunshine, mother nature is watching for you to set up a job, half way through she'll give you a shower, I know she's sitting in her chair waiting :gig
Mother nature has a grim sense of humor. There is no other way of explaining all the rain we have had this summer while the west coast is parched. My husband was talking to a HAM operator who works at a local tv station. He said he was amazed that tv weathermen could be paid to lie. :lau

I was a bit older, clears throat, when Star Wars came out but being a big sci fi fan I fell in love with it. I never got to meat Williams or Lucas tho. My friend who interviewed Williams for a college assignment got to meet Lucas and had a first edition of Star Wars signed by him..until it was was destroyed in a fire.

The only one I got to meet was Dave Prowse/Darth Vader in 1980 in Denver at a Sci Fi convention. A bunch of us were standing in a hall talking to him and out of the blue asked if we would like to have lunch with him. Of course we said sure. Super nice guy and size wise every bit the figure he cut as Vader.

Mother nature has a grim sense of humor. There is no other way of explaining all the rain we have had this summer while the west coast is parched. My husband was talking to a HAM operator who works at a local tv station. He said he was amazed that tv weathermen could be paid to lie. :lau
I’m new here..why is Stormcrow viciously attacking me in another thread about oyster shell and soy? All I said was that I found an alleged organic source of calcium because I was concerned about lack of testing for heavy metals, or the broader category “badness,” and was using a non corn, non soy organic feed. Then got into it over soy..is this common for ppl to set up a little fiefdom and attack newbies? Edit..getting attacked brings out my worst..I got snarky too, especially after I gave a peace offering and it was rebuffed..

I’m new here..why is Stormcrow viciously attacking me in another thread about oyster shell and soy? All I said was that I found an alleged organic source of calcium because I was concerned about lack of testing for heavy metals, or the broader category “badness,” and was using a non corn, non soy organic feed. Then got into it over soy..is this common for ppl to set up a little fiefdom and attack newbies?
In a word? NO! It's not common practice and if somebody is offending you or attacking you, flag the posts and report them to one of the moderators to step in. The moderators here on BYC are great. In fact, one of them, @ronott1 hangs out here at the Home.

But you don't have to put up with that. You can also hit the ignore button on them if you want and not be stressed out. Most people here are super nice and supportive and we moderator ourselves and one another a lot. Don't be afraid to defend yourself. But you know in the world called perfect everyone is nice but unfortunately this world isn't called Perfect.

In a word? NO! It's not common practice and if somebody is offending you or attacking you, flag the posts and report them to one of the moderators to step in. The moderators here on BYC are great. In fact, one of them, @ronott1 hangs out here at the Home.

But you don't have to put up with that. You can also hit the ignore button on them if you want and not be stressed out. Most people here are super nice and supportive and we moderator ourselves and one another a lot. Don't be afraid to defend yourself. But you know in the world called perfect everyone is nice but unfortunately this world isn't called Perfect.
Well, I am new, I don’t want to be a big stone in a pond..we argued over the minutiae of scientific analysis, and, it’s not worth it. It’s silly really, because we all rely on a Google search for information and unless you do a metric f ton of checking, who knows what’s online nowadays? I read that the information is accumulating so fast, there are vast server farms using billions of gallons of water for cooling in the southwest deserts. Great..even less water for salt lake! Maybe make storage servers in space..seems like an orbit that keeps them dark would cool them, but then again, they usually depend on solar power to operate the satellites..well, I’ll let them figure that out.

Back
Top Bottom