The Old Folks Home

The neighbor beside us put his fence in and built onto his shop without a permit. And he's right, as long as the neighbors don't complain, he gets away with it. But if he gets reported because he built his fence on my property, then he has to pay the price which in this case, the biggest price was having to give up one of his German shepherds
This is just nuts! May I ask what state this is in? This is in the US?

This is just nuts! May I ask what state this is in? This is in the US?
Windsor pa. York county. And yes, buildings are on property lines and you may still put your fence on the property line. When I asked how two people both put their fence on the property line, they said back to back. When the neighbor moved his fence it was a couple feet. I assumed the boro made him because he has two German shepherds. He also doubled up his fence to a height of 6 feet.

So he HAS moved the fence off your property?

The fence will have barbed wire on top.
Is that legal? It wasn't in the last city we lived in.

I bought the property and I feel I have the right to not have people walking back and forth
Yep.

So they can only use half the garage, the other half belongs to the neighbor on the other side.
And do these people get along? I wonder if the prior owner was good buds with the "share the garage" neighbor.

The fence installer told me it's legal. The boro office is closed till Monday so I will find out. I wanted chain link but till they order it in, I won't have a fence till mid January. So they tell me horse fence looks just as nice (2x4" square wire and wood posts), is more affordable and you can get privacy shields/covers to attach in areas that you want privacy. I asked for 5' fence and he suggested 4' with an extension on top. Rather then getting 5' posts. He wants to come out on Saturday at which time I will find out for sure. He said it would end up being 4 1/2 feet. I already had measurements of 270' long that I had a quote from before the survey but prices have changed and this builder will have the fence up by mid November.
The neighbor did move his fence...along with one of the surveyors marker 🙂. The surveyors expected that and put in extra markers. I assumed he was told to move his fence back a certain distance (feet) so he moved the marker so it lines up with his existing fence- so he doesn't have to pull up another one of his existing posts. So as it is, he had to cut his chain link fence.
The prior owner of the house didn't live there, it was empty.
This area is patrolled by state police. I got the police out today so I could make a report so the neighbor backs off with his picture taking of me pretending he's somehow able to report that my chickens aren't in a fence. He said I'm getting a letter from the boro. The codes officer told me I'm fine but it makes me all tense and uptight.

Well, whattaya wanna go and do that for? :idunno Glad to hear it didn't kick your butt! Don't do it again now!
Well I wasn't trying to do it, it just sorta happened.. Maybe drink more water, not get overheated, or emotional when you find your first broody dead and all but one chick gone and the one that escaped the snake dead like mom. Twas quite a morning.

Morning OF. Time to get coffee guzzled and get to work!

Back
Top Bottom