The Old Folks Home

Last night at lockup, all of the chickens were on the roost! One was on the poop board, but the rest were up there together. I wasn't expecting this to happen until the pullets began to lay, like next January.

And they were all in the same places when I opened up this morning. :clap Another milestone in the integration.
They are going to start laying next month Sally, have faith!

You get up so early that the birds are still on the roosts?

My hen who stopped laying at the end of August to molt looks great and laid an egg today! I think she laid the egg I got yesterday too. I was a little surprised, as her comb is getting a little redder, but wasn't "plumped up" the it was when she was laying.

:wee
Nice to get an egg from a hen that has moulted. Will be interesting to see if she keeps it up or not.

I didn't get any eggs today. When somebody shakes out their feathers it's like a snowfall. Can't say that I blame them. Pulled all the large roosters from the coop except for Tut who is molting as badly as the rest of them. Most of the hens are look more like porky pines then chickens so they don't need rammy young blood trying to mate them at the moment.

Last edited:
They are going to start laying next month Sally, have faith!

You get up so early that the birds are still on the roosts?
It was just getting light. 7:25 here. Actual sunrise is almost 8 now.
Nice to get an egg from a hen that has moulted. Will be interesting to see if she keeps it up or not.
Yeah, I'm wondering if she'll lay all winter. None of the three (Black Australorps) laid last year from mid-November to mid-January.

My Jubilee Orpington's comb and wattles are getting darker pink, but are still pretty small. The Blue JGs-notAustralorps will probably wait until after the solstice, by the looks of it.

@bruceha2000, I've been out at 3AM to let the dogs out and can hear my roosters and every rooster in the neighborhood crowing it's brains out. I look to the east and not a hint of light in the sky.:confused:

Not getting up before 3AM...nononono ain't gonna happen. Mind you the night I went to the ER it was 3:30 not 3. 3AM is against my religion,

Back
Top Bottom