The Old Folks Home

Howdy doody everyone.

Fall is finally here. In fact, it feels early winterish outside today. Windy...cold....temp....cold....sun.....under cloud cover. They are calling for heavy rain over the weekend but we need rain.

I did go out and get the poly carb cover over one of the small coop windows so the birds weren't getting a lot of cold air on them tonight.

@bruceha2000 I just keep telling myself that when I'm tempted to say 'why me?' that it can always be worse and I'm strong enough to face whatever cards my health deals to me. Not everyone is. They give up. Not me, not @CapricornFarm, not @lovesfarms not @CSolis.

Never give up, never surrender is mor than a motto. It's a life style for me.

@silverhair67 I fully understand you! I've been working at the coop building something, suddenly go into the shop, pass DH who asks me what I'm doing. I tell him that the ponds are calling me and I must answer their siren's song, grab my rode and reel and tackle box and zone out for an hour or so just seeing what I can get on my hook.

on the way home I got distracted by a Bass had to stop and look
Many years ago my Dad and stepmother came from Oregon for a visit. One thing we did was take a 3 day trip to Bar Harbor Maine and back. They got distracted by every single Bass (shoe store) we went anywhere near!

Students are suppose to write the answers for themselves.
WTF, that is just stupid!

I am SICK of teaching school today. Just when I get everything all caught up with all the kids, a few of the teachers seem to be changing the rules, and they are STUPID rules.

Youngest is in Kindergarten. She's learning to write her alphabet, and the sounds the letters make. She has some sight words.

Her Science lessons in this module, have been about changing the forms of things, and methods to do it. Example: Paper = cut, tear, fold, roll, and crumple. PlayDoh = cut, smash, roll, etc. The first part of the assignment was to name at least 4 methods to change the form of paper. On the worksheet, there were a few blank lines, for the answers. She named methods, and I wrote them in. The next part was for her to draw a picture using the methods named in the first part. Done, picture taken, and submitted. Yay!

Not so fast. The teacher is not happy with the way the assignment was done. Students are suppose to write the answers for themselves. ??????????? Um, she isn't even writing words yet. The assignment has to be re-submitted, written in the student's own handwriting. Another assignment has to be re-submitted, and it involves entire sentences.

I've run into this with a couple other of the Kindergarten teachers, especially the ones that teach First, and Second grade in addition to kindergarten. I can see them being able to write words, and/or copy short sentences in First grade. Maybe even later on in the school year, for Kindergarteners. At this point though, it's stupidity to expect it.
With five kids myself I commend you. I can't do it. For one was yrs ago now we have them spread out but kindergarten kids have to learn how to read!!?
Heck I couldn't even spell my last name at that age...
Now with common core math here I'm basically no good for helping. They're on their own. I'll teach them the more important stuff at home.

Little comic relief on covid. Been laying low, hand shoveling shale on truck at old quarry to fill in driveway. Boy youngest of the bunch been helping he's 9. Snuck a fishing pole in the truck surprised him with some fishing, a lot of worms in bucket were dead and smelled bad if u ain't smelled rotten worms ... well its it's bad..
Latter that day eating dinner all the sudden boy crying while eating dinner, says
"Mom, I can't smell my farts dad said my farts smelled worse than those rotten worms and I can't smell my farts"
He cried and cried can't smell anything not even raw garlic but some upset can't smell his farts :hit:lau

We're all doing here good still, everyone has covid, even DW that was vaccinated with JJ, she has cold symptoms stuffy nose and cough slight fever, lost taste and smell also.
I know it's not a biggie but the whole taste and smell thingy bothers me.
Truck driver that had covid way back during the beginning still can't smell certain things, can't smell skunk...
Said recently "what is it like having a stroke? Do I need to re-learn how to smell?"

I am SICK of teaching school today. Just when I get everything all caught up with all the kids, a few of the teachers seem to be changing the rules, and they are STUPID rules.

Youngest is in Kindergarten. She's learning to write her alphabet, and the sounds the letters make. She has some sight words.

Her Science lessons in this module, have been about changing the forms of things, and methods to do it. Example: Paper = cut, tear, fold, roll, and crumple. PlayDoh = cut, smash, roll, etc. The first part of the assignment was to name at least 4 methods to change the form of paper. On the worksheet, there were a few blank lines, for the answers. She named methods, and I wrote them in. The next part was for her to draw a picture using the methods named in the first part. Done, picture taken, and submitted. Yay!

Not so fast. The teacher is not happy with the way the assignment was done. Students are suppose to write the answers for themselves. ??????????? Um, she isn't even writing words yet. The assignment has to be re-submitted, written in the student's own handwriting. Another assignment has to be re-submitted, and it involves entire sentences.

I've run into this with a couple other of the Kindergarten teachers, especially the ones that teach First, and Second grade in addition to kindergarten. I can see them being able to write words, and/or copy short sentences in First grade. Maybe even later on in the school year, for Kindergarteners. At this point though, it's stupidity to expect it.
That is hugely wrong.

Probably had little lines too. Kindergarten kids should be using fat pencils, or better yet fat triangle pencils and working on making huge well shaped letters.

Making tiny letters on a tiny fill in the blank isn't good for them.

And no, they should NOT be writing sentences.

Now memorizing a short silly rhyming poem... especially one where you clap to the syllables, is a great idea.

Back
Top Bottom