The Old Folks Home

Thank you for your answer. I just really needed to hear personal experiences. Dh used to take fosamax until the dentist wouldn't pull his tooth until he's off of it for awhile. (Fosamax had a history of making the jaw bone break when pulling a tooth)Then he stopped it altogether. Now he's prescribed Reclast. I thought it's something different. The rheumy ordered it and said to ask the surgeon if it's ok before he takes it. The surgeons answer 'the rheumy should tell ME if it's ok to do surgery if he takes it'. Red flags went up. So Reclast is on hold. I have to ask more questions before he takes it. I wonder if it's the same as fosamax? I'll just remind him to keep taking the vitamin D for now. Did you just stop taking prolia now?
No problem. I was supposed to have my next Prolia shot in September but I had my ER visit and intestinal bleed then so I postponed it. Doctor agreed with me and told me to let him know when I was ready to start it again but I'm never going to be ready. Not with me fighting my IBS, trying to get used to this diverticulosis diet and dealing with the constipation when one of the top three side effects from Prolia is constipation. I've also read where if you have diverticulitis, it can cause a bleed....well duh and they think I'm running back out and having another shot? Me no think so. I have to find some other way to manage my osteo.

The Prolia can also cause the jaw problems with extractions. Bone necrosis? Fun and games, not.

I have my gastroduodenoscopy on Monday. Osteoporosis meds is one of the things on my list to ask my doc about. Right now I'm pi**ed at the local hospital. They called me today and asked me if I was still on the books to have the scoping done on Monday and I told them yes. Here it was the business office telling me that they had calculated my copay with Medicare and I had to be prepared to pay that on Monday. Somewhere around 350 dollars. Keep in mind I have already looked up my copay on the Medicare site and they say it should be 189$ I told them not to worry they would get their money and I hoped I would be paid in full with them then. No, they couldn't guarantee that. I may owe more or less.

I don't know if this is becoming SOP with hospitals or if Macon's Samaritan hospital is just a rare bird but it stinks. People are nervous enough about having 'procedures' done without having the business office strong arm money out of them before the fact. Bills we get from them have always been paid in full AFTER insurance. That is how I handled it in my husband's practice. And the endoscopy center in Columbia didn't ask for prepayment either.

Either way, it's the last procedure I'm having done there. And doctors wonder why people put off their medical care?

Thank you for your answer. I just really needed to hear personal experiences. Dh used to take fosamax until the dentist wouldn't pull his tooth until he's off of it for awhile. (Fosamax had a history of making the jaw bone break when pulling a tooth)Then he stopped it altogether. Now he's prescribed Reclast. I thought it's something different. The rheumy ordered it and said to ask the surgeon if it's ok before he takes it. The surgeons answer 'the rheumy should tell ME if it's ok to do surgery if he takes it'. Red flags went up. So Reclast is on hold. I have to ask more questions before he takes it. I wonder if it's the same as fosamax? I'll just remind him to keep taking the vitamin D for now. Did you just stop taking prolia now?
In addition to vit D3, grind up eggshells (same mineral composition as teeth and bones) use it to sprinkle on cereal or bake in cakes, etc. Plus Magnesium Citrate, and of course walking. Walking does more to maintain bone health than people give it credit.

I quite often find myself sitting back and thinking about conversations I could have with relatives/friends that have passed. I don't know if that's weird or not :idunno
I still talk to my mom and dad. They are both 'gone' to the 'other side' of the veil. I can't see them but they live on. It's just I get to have the last word now. That never happened when they were on 'this side'.

Back
Top Bottom