The Old Folks Home

Like I said, it was my accident for the year.. Glad I got it over with! One year was trip over a staub and fall face down with weed eater in hand, bruised my 'chest', next was having a tree pop up and knock me in the eyebrow while chainsaw in hand, butterfly stitches are great... Then there's the thing with the ladder and I taking a tumble together.. Good thing my bones are still flexible. :lau

Trust me @pennyJo1960 1960. Staff makes mistakes. They aren't perfect. I once wrote one date on a patient's appt. card and a different one in the appointment book. Patient and I had a good laugh over it. I told her my dyslexia was kicking in late in life.

Surprise! I went out to check the birds and screw a heat lamp into their clamp on light fixture for a couple hours and the boys were under mamma heating pad toasting their bones. Just got to get them through tonight. I'll probably leave it plugged in and turned on overnight so they can get under it in the morning first thing. I'm not so worried about them overnight. They will be on the roost bars cuddled together. But hopefully they will remember the heating pad in the morining.

I rigged it by putting it in a plastic bag, taping and rubber banding it to an old cork bulletin board and then hung it under their shelf where I knew they would eventually find it because that is where the bantams hang out during the day.

Like I said, it was my accident for the year.. Glad I got it over with! One year was trip over a staub and fall face down with weed eater in hand, bruised my 'chest', next was having a tree pop up and knock me in the eyebrow while chainsaw in hand, butterfly stitches are great... Then there's the thing with the ladder and I taking a tumble together.. Good thing my bones are still flexible. :lau
I fell off a ladder and landed on my phone!

Sorry to put it this way, but it's just DAMNED cold here. -3 this morning. High of 10 this afternoon. They are calling for -5 tomorrow morning.
Wuss! It started at 6°F this morning and has been dropping ever since. Mr. NOAA says -14°F in the morning with a high of 0°F. Which most likely means -19°F and -5°F here at the house.

Are bantams particularly less cold hardy than large fowl? My girls have never had a problem making it through the night without supplemental heat even at -20°F.

Wuss! It started at 6°F this morning and has been dropping ever since. Mr. NOAA says -14°F in the morning with a high of 0°F. Which most likely means -19°F and -5°F here at the house.

Are bantams particularly less cold hardy than large fowl? My girls have never had a problem making it through the night without supplemental heat even at -20°F.
Silkies, seramas and some polish are. Seramas are tiny, silkies don't have proper feathers and polish are goofy.

Bantams, even "regular" ones have more trouble simply because they are smaller so have less thermal mass.

I found them.... oh... about 10 degrees less hardy than regular sized.

:bow

I think my Fayoumis are probably more comfortable in the cold than my bantams are. Their nervous energy means that they are always moving around and when they aren't they are fluffed up. Today I noticed my bantam hens fluffed up but the boys generally weren't. Everything I read about EFs said that they weren't cold hardy but mine seem to not mind the cold as long as they can stay out of the wind.

BTW it's a balmy -1 here right now.

Back
Top Bottom