The Old Folks Home

I've got an old one with wire shelves.. And sometimes it makes groaning noises.. Like something old but keeps on chugging!
I think our fridge is pushing 35-40. Inefficient? Yup, I'm sure it is. But it's still working like a champ. When it goes, it owes us NOTHING. And I bet any new one we buy won't last as long.

I think our fridge is pushing 35-40. Inefficient? Yup, I'm sure it is. But it's still working like a champ. When it goes, it owes us NOTHING. And I bet any new one we buy won't last as long.
Very true.

My mom is still on the same washer and drier... they are at least 30 years old... maybe more

And me? I can't tell you how many I have gone through... but it is a bunch!!!

The people we got the house from got it new when they moved in 1987 and the dryer we used they got for a wedding gift. Dh says we got to get new ones before we have a fire.

Cold outside... Warm in the coat

Attachments

• 20220126_162857.jpg
    20220126_162857.jpg
    597.4 KB · Views: 1
The people we got the house from got it new when they moved in 1987 and the dryer we used they got for a wedding gift. Dh says we got to get new ones before we have a fire.

Cold outside... Warm in the coat
Why would you have a fire?

Laundry fires are usually because
1. You didn't clean the lint put if the trap/hoses/ or exhaust

Or

2. You are washing and drying a rag soaked in fuel of some kind.

Both reasons for fire have little to do with the age of the machines.... unless you only clean out the lint when you replace the drier.... so. Pull out the drier now, pull the hose off the wall, clean it out, clean the port on the outside if the house... figure out how to clean it from one end to the other. Then take the drier apart, just enough to clean out the tube/duct that starts at the lint trap and ends where it exits the machine. It is true with an old machine those can get pretty full.

But... once that is all clean... you are good.

The major advantage of a new washer, specifically a front loader, is that they spin harder, so the clothes come out significantly drier, requiring much less time in the dryer. It does save a good bit of energy. For a medium to large family, this can mean a decent savings. Not to mention they require less water to do the same job. Being on well water, that's not really a big deal to us, but for those paying a water bill, again it could mean another bit of savings.

As to an older dryer, I'd keep that until it died. Like mentioned previously, clean out all the lint inside, along with the outer hoses, and vents. This should be done every so often with all dryers, to keep them at optimum drying capability.

Back
Top Bottom