The Old Folks Home

I dont' mind rain, but let it dry out a little before starting again.. Got muddy pens atm.. Once it stops, it won't be 24 hours before it's solid and not gushy between the toes mud.
That's how it is here also.

I finally decided that instead of spreading the pulverized straw on the pasture, I'd spread it around the run to help with the mud/dust problem.

Two days of rain off and on....the straw is now squishing when I walk on it.

Maybe it will turn into adobe once it stops raining. Hopefully the hens will get some serious digging time in ad uncover some worms thanks to the straw bed.

Hey Blooie, wanted to say that my first experience with Momma Heating Pad was a complete success. I kept it in with the Fayoumi chicks, arching it more and more until they were sleeping on the outside of it at 4 weeks and out it came. I did 48 hours of heat lamp until everyone was hatched and dry so I could keep an eye on them then stuffed them under the heating pad.

They loved it and so did I. The only problem I had with them was they refused to go under the heating pad with the lights out. I'd find them huddled in a corner of the brooder crying their little hearts out night after night. Finally put a low watt night light over the brooder and they were happy.

Once they feathered out and I moved them to a pen in the coop they settled into a day night schedule with the other birds but even then for the first few nights they were huddled in a corner crying at night. I gave them a roost bar and they have finally gotten the hang of using that so no more pitiful crying at night.

Sounds like my Egyptian Fayoumi's are afraid of the dark, LOL.
So glad MHP worked for you!! Not sure why they’d react that way to the sun going down, though. All of mine have filled their little crops one last time and wandered under by the time the sun was all the way down. Went out to check on one batch and had one little guy who was still wandering around screaming for the others just after dark. I just tucked him under, held my hand in front for a few seconds,band he calmed right down.

My experience might be different than yours if you’re using artificial lights, like the lights in your house. Those being turned off make a much more abrupt darkness, and is scarier to them than just gradual sunset.

Congratulations on your first successful brood with Mama Heating Pad!! Remarkable how easy and natural it all is, isn’t it? :thumbsup

:frow ☔ Note the fore
Screenshot_13.png
casted amount of liquid sunshine..

Back
Top Bottom