The Olive-Egger thread!

@Manningjw
What breeds did you use? If you don't mind sharing?

My first two sets of Olive Eggers I used a cockerel from a project line of Legorn/Australorp/Ameraucana heritage (selected for blue egg gene) crossed over a Red Sex Link hen whose eggs weren't quite as dark as my current brown egg layer.

Certain strains of Red Sex Links lay fairly dark colored egg shells and maintain that dark coating despite prolific egg laying which is why I chose them.

My current set, due to hatch May 5th. This time the cockerel is a U of A Blue egg layer (Ameraucana --=/Leghorn hybrid project bird) The brown eggs are from an Amber Link, very similar to a Red Sex Link or Bovan brown/ISA brown. I don't think she skipped a day in the last 2 weeks of laying but her shell color is still nice and dark. We will see what her daughters produce!

Nice!@Manningjw
I have three Whiting True Blue chicks I just got last week & 3 OE from Meyer. I also bought three Maran chicks from a place that has bred them for super dark eggs. If one of them is a Roo I'll be trying my hand at making some darker Olive Eggers next season
1f389.png
1f60a.png
Super excited.

Hi everyone! I am new to chickens and new to BYC. My chicks are between two and three weeks old, purchased straight run. I have one olive egger, and I'm wondering if she might be roo! She has more comb development than any of the other chicks, although it's still very yellow. As she's my first and only OE, I don't have a reference for comparison. Anybody care to weigh in?
1f60a.png
Thanks!!

Hi everyone! I am new to chickens and new to BYC. My chicks are between two and three weeks old, purchased straight run. I have one olive egger, and I'm wondering if she might be roo! She has more comb development than any of the other chicks, although it's still very yellow. As she's my first and only OE, I don't have a reference for comparison. Anybody care to weigh in?
1f60a.png
Thanks!!
Couple more weeks will tell the tale.
By 5-6 weeks that single comb will turn redm wattles will appear....or not

1f60a.png
Thanks!!
Am I seeing feathered legs and feet? Looks like a marans could have been used in the cross. Too young to tell yet. My OE's that are welsummer X legbar have fairly large combs and developed them early.

My son wants,to try his hand at getting some olive eggers in his flock. We have had chickens for 11 years. After looking into it, through this site, this is his plan...

He is going to pick up some eggs on Sunday from an NPIP breeder that are true Ameraucanas laying blue eggs. He'll put those in the incubator and has ordered Cuckoo Marans chicks to be picked up the same time that these should hatch.

The cuckoo Marans don't lay as dark of an egg, but should be dark enough. The BCM are very hard to find right now. Even hatching eggs. Also, the Cockoo Marans should be sexlinked because the barring pattern will only go to the males when you have a non barred rooster over a barred hen.

How does that sound? Is that a good plan?

Back
Top Bottom