The Olive-Egger thread!

My RIRs are single combed. And like I said, I guess I'm pinning my olive egger hopes on my BCMs! They're only 3 1/2 months old so no eggs for a while yet, but from what I'm reading (they were surprise substitutes into my order) they can be expected to lay nice dark brown eggs. I know the other breeds lay eggs that are varying shades of brown, but hey green is my favorite color so bring on the EE babies!

@elliesaurus, If you have room for them, I personally like having weird shades of gray-green along with olive. Some of my more interesting eggs came from more unpredictable crosses. If you are hoping for olive, but will be relatively happy with green, you are all set!

Is the sister the one on the far right?  Opposite of "sweet cheeks"?  It is a bit blurry but it looks like she has a slight beard?  Maybe not.  

The bearding gene is incomplete dominant if I remember right.  2 copies of the gene yields a larger beard if memory serves me.  A single copy will yield a smaller beard. 

I can typcally tell at hatch if a chicken is going to be bearded and if not it will not develop later unfortunately.  I love the feather color pattern of EEs anyway though. 
Checksy is the one on the right with no beard. I guess she'll never get one.

In other news, Sweet Cheeks just laid her first egg today at 5 months old. To our surprise it looks more blue than green.

@elliesaurus, If you have room for them, I personally like having weird shades of gray-green along with olive. Some of my more interesting eggs came from more unpredictable crosses. If you are hoping for olive, but will be relatively happy with green, you are all set!

I'm happy with any eggs, to be honest. I've heard how much tastier and healthier the eggs of home grown chickens are since I was a kid, and I'm finally at a point in my life where I can dedicate the time and resources to my own flock. My newest chicks are way friendlier than my first batch, but stand offish hens makes it pretty easy to take care of them, lol. I'm not their friend, I'm their butler, and they don't let me forget it!

Very colorful collection in your carton!

Hi everyone! I recently ordered 3 OE pullets and one cockerel from Meyer.

About a week ago I was able to identify the boy. He's one of the brown chipmunk ones, he has a single comb that at 3 weeks is very prominent. He towers over the others. The other brown also has a single comb while the black and blue/gray ones have pea combs. Unfortunately only the blue one has muffs.
1f615.png
My question is, if I were to breed this roo with my hens at some point, is there any way to guess what egg colors might come out with him having a single comb? I have EE hens that mostly lay blue eggs. I also have welsummers. I really enjoy EEs, so I would hope that breeding him to my EE hens and the OE females that I would get some colorful EE looking birds. But what might I get with the OE over a welsummer?
Oh and I will get new pics as they grow. These are my first OEs so I'm excited to see what they turn into!

Back
Top Bottom