The Olive-Egger thread!

Not meaning to hijack the thread...but... I have 8 Wel. EE. BCM crosses that are 21 weeks old and guess what?? No eggs yet. Just was wondering if this was normal for these breeds (even tho they are not pure breeds). Also our days are getting shorter and I know production goes down now anyway. Could this be a factor? I am just so looking forward to pretty eggs. Thank you for any insight into my egglessness.

Oh BTW did I mention that I have a roo from the same hatch that does not crow ever at all nor does he exercise his husbandly rights?

Welcome!

Wellies are notoriously slow to start laying eggs. This time of year, they may take closer to 30 weeks. EEs are a more average(average over all breeds is 22 weeks), but it is the low light time.

Hopefully they will start next month but the may hold off until January.

Last edited:
Quote:
the O(blue egg shell gene) gene found on Easter Eggers is Closely Linked to the P(pea comb) gene by 4 cm(centi morgan) the closer they are the harder it becomes for those gene(O and P) to segregate independently, meaning if a chick inherits the pea comb from their EE mother or sire they have about 95% chance of getting the Blue egg shell gene also... now I understand that the Cream Creasted Legbar is a single comb bird that lays blue egg too, well their O gene did a cross over at one point in their history(I would say the Chilean birds used by punnett carry that gene) so now their gene is closely linked to their Single comb counter part.
I have heard this before. I happen to own one of the 5%, she was hatched from a blue egg has a pea comb, green legs and lays pinkish brown eggs. We call her Rose.I really should play the lottery.

Last edited:
Does anyone here in texas (I live in del valle) have any olive egger chicks? I'll be willing to mae a lame trade for my cream legbar fertile eggs. I can't find olive eggers anywhere
Yep Im in Texas and have olive egger pullets,young Black Copper or Blue Copper Marans roosters,or OE hatching eggs.

I have heard this before. I happen to own one of the 5%, she was hatched from a blue egg has a pea comb, green legs and lays pinkish brown eggs. We call her Rose.I really should play the lottery.
I have had a few . I had 2 sisters with straight combs lay olive eggs and A fellow member had the same. very strange was a Barnevelder rooster over a lavender ameraucana

Thanks for all the input!! I guess I'm just so impatient. And the rooster thing really has me stumped. Mr. Crowley's brothers were crowing at 8 weeks! and up but I chose to keep him because he's so nice and personable.

I'm raising some FBCM 15wks old now.
I have Ameraucanas 2 yrs old
I want Olive Eggers.
BUT I read a few post that started this thread a few years ago that had PINKish eggs. How did you turn up with Pinkish eggs?

Back
Top Bottom