The Olive-Egger thread!

We just got our first egg from an Olive Egger. It's more green than olive but I was wanting green eggs too. She is from a Black Ameraucana roo X BCM hen.

That egg is spectacularly green! Not putty, not brownish, I would love to see that in my flock. The first photo is wet from water, the second dry? It looks like it might have a ring of color at the top?

We just got our first egg from an Olive Egger. It's more green than olive but I was wanting green eggs too. She is from a Black Ameraucana roo X BCM hen.

very nice egg.
These are from your birds, or another breeder? They're lovely.
These are from a crele penedesenca breeder back east. I sent him eggs awhile back and he sent me 15. now 6 where much darker than the rest but ever the lighter ones where like warm carmel with dark spots and pretty in there own right

The crele penedesenca eggs and birds are beautiful, but when I think about those combs in winter, it does not seem like a practical option. Do people raise these birds in cold climates?
My Basques did well here, but not without some frostbite on the tips of their combs.

The crele penedesenca eggs and birds are beautiful, but when I think about those combs in winter, it does not seem like a practical option. Do people raise these birds in cold climates?
My Basques did well here, but not without some frostbite on the tips of their combs.
I know a few people that do. Ohio ( Sand Hill Preservation) Guy ( Saint Louis) someone in Wisconson ( Ron on here got eggs. poorly shipped though )

you may have poor fertility early on.
Now Maine though I am not sure. They would need a well ventilated winter coop so moisture does not cause as much comb frostbite.
The snow does not bother them. we get it here but is nowhere near as cold as you

I am working on a crele olive egger with a pea comb and crele penedesenca look.
I am just starting out though

I think that Sandhill is in Iowa. I buy their sweet potatoes. They grow well here, but I have them in a hoop house.

Maybe the birds would be fine here, but I should probably just admire them from afar.

If you oil the combs with olive oil they will resist frostbite. This will also protect you fingers in the winter if you are doing a delicate task the just can't be done with gloves on. The oil seals the skin and prevents water vapor from evaporating and cooling the skin.

If you oil the combs with olive oil they will resist frostbite. This will also protect you fingers in the winter if you are doing a delicate task the just can't be done with gloves on. The oil seals the skin and prevents water vapor from evaporating and cooling the skin.
good knowledge. My chickens may think they are getting rubbed down for the oven lol

I get a range of color. I have blue/green laying EE's and I have the BCM. I mixed a splash maran roo over all my blue/green egg girls. I hatched them out. Their offspring All laid olive, I put a OE roo from that mix over everyone else. Their offspring threw out odd green's, spotted greens and med brown egg layers. By fall I should know what egg color I get from that mix. I'm hoping for more light green with brown spots. They look wild.

Awesome eggs! They remind me of the little whopper eggs you can buy around Easter!

Wow! Talk about variety! That'll add some nice color to your basket! (This is me being jealous...
droolin.gif
)

I get a range of color. I have blue/green laying EE's and I have the BCM. I mixed a splash maran roo over all my blue/green egg girls. I hatched them out. Their offspring All laid olive, I put a OE roo from that mix over everyone else. Their offspring threw out odd green's, spotted greens and med brown egg layers. By fall I should know what egg color I get from that mix. I'm hoping for more light green with brown spots. They look wild.
OMG! Peach2u those eggs are gorgeous! I am curious...would crossing your speckled blue/green egg layer with another blue/ green layer ensure the offspring lay similar eggs? I must say, I'm envious. I would love to add that beautiful color to my basket (when they start laying). If you are able to replicate this would you sell eggs/ chicks? I bet you would have a long line of interested parties. Congrats on your beautiful eggs!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom