The Olive-Egger thread!

Hi there,

I just got some Olive egger chicks. I'm so so so excited. A couple questions, no judging please as one my be very very dumb
1f602.png

1. It said they are 5/8 BCM and 3/8 black ameraucana. Any idea what they will look like??
2. I have 4 pullets and 1 cockerel, if I beed them together will I get chicks that will lay olive eggs again? (This afraid is the silly question, seems like common sense but I am learning chickens are crazy with their genes)

Thanks in advanced!

Hi there,

I just got some Olive egger chicks. I'm so so so excited. A couple questions, no judging please as one my be very very dumb
1f602.png

1. It said they are 5/8 BCM and 3/8 black ameraucana. Any idea what they will look like??
2. I have 4 pullets and 1 cockerel, if I beed them together will I get chicks that will lay olive eggs again? (This afraid is the silly question, seems like common sense but I am learning chickens are crazy with their genes)

Thanks in advanced!
Study Steve Neumann's OE color breeding chart. I'm thinking these chicks may not lay olive necessarily. Your anwers are in the chart. It's an adventure!

Study Steve Neumann's OE color breeding chart.  I'm thinking these chicks may not lay olive necessarily.  Your anwers are in the chart.  It's an adventure!

Ahh.... I see what you mean. Well either way I'll get awesome eggs! 2 of the Olive egger have taken on the feather on the legs like the Marans... So maybe! Just maybe... I'll get a darker green out of them???

"Olive" was purchased as an Olive Egger, but now I'm doubtful. Would those experienced with BCM x Ameraucana Olive Eggers chime in? She is 11 weeks old and has what looks to be a straight comb developing. I don't think it's a pea comb as my Ameraucana's comb looks much different. (I'm a complete and utter newbie so bear with me.) This bird would be a 2nd generation as per the breeder. The first generation was a BCM X Wheaten Ameraucana. I get it that all of those birds would have a pea comb, but should carry the straight comb gene. My bird is a result of breeding the F1 bird back to a BCM rooster. I understand the genetics, but I'm unfamiliar with what a straight comb looks like at 11 weeks. Is this a straight comb? Any reason, based upon looks, to think she is a he? The behavior has become more confrontational with the other chicks lately. It may just be natural pecking order, but I'm beginning to wonder about Olive's sex.

Thanks for taking the time to look!

"Olive" was purchased as an Olive Egger, but now I'm doubtful. Would those experienced with BCM x Ameraucana Olive Eggers chime in? She is 11 weeks old and has what looks to be a straight comb developing. I don't think it's a pea comb as my Ameraucana's comb looks much different. (I'm a complete and utter newbie so bear with me.) This bird would be a 2nd generation as per the breeder. The first generation was a BCM X Wheaten Ameraucana. I get it that all of those birds would have a pea comb, but should carry the straight comb gene. My bird is a result of breeding the F1 bird back to a BCM rooster. I understand the genetics, but I'm unfamiliar with what a straight comb looks like at 11 weeks. Is this a straight comb? Any reason, based upon looks, to think she is a he? The behavior has become more confrontational with the other chicks lately. It may just be natural pecking order, but I'm beginning to wonder about Olive's sex.

Thanks for taking the time to look!
Very pretty! My OE's all have straight combs.

I have never herd of the Olive egger layer. I have White, Light Pink, Light Brown, Dark Brown, Light Blue, and Light Green egg layers. but no Olive. I want some now. Where do I buy them from?
Steven

Many hatcheries sell them but they are fairly expensive. Olive eggers aren't a breed, but are made from breeding a dark egg layer to a blue egg layer. For example you could get some by breeding your Ameraucana and aracana if they lay blue eggs to one of the dark or chocolate egg layers like marans or welsumers.
One nice thing about using welsumers is you can often sex the peeps at hatch.

Back
Top Bottom