The Olive-Egger thread!

Here is my latest family member, hatched out of her little olive egg 6 days ago!

A few of my OE girls are acting different. I have a feeling I'll be seeing eggs soon. They walk in and out of the nesting boxes slowly several times like they're trying to decide which one they like best. Sometimes they just sit there in the nest box singing and clucking. They squat down and get real tense if I place my hand on their backs, and they are singing very loudly while walking through the coop/run lately. I am very excited about what color/shade I'll get from them.

Just 24 hours after seeing my pullet act differently, SHE LAID AN EGG TODAY!!!!! but it turns out she isn't an olive egger LOL

Oh, what a shame. I think you should send her to me.
big_smile.png

LOL
gig.gif

Gorgeous blue tho...
...and who knows maybe the spray booth just hasn't kicked in yet<shrugs>
haha! not likely but a very distant possibility.
Where did you get your OE's?

Okay guys. I set up camp in the coop today and I watched the girls all day. The one I believe laid yesterday's egg was in and out of the laying boxes and singing, but no egg. Another of the girls was being VERY loud and was also in and out of the laying box, but no egg. Finally around lunch time I was surprised to see one of the quietest girls hop into the laying box and lay an egg! I don't think she was the one who laid the egg from yesterday because this egg is green! It is the exact same color as the green "Piggly Piggly" brand egg cartons for those of you who are familiar with that grocery store. LOL

I got my Olive Egger girls from an acquaintance of mine that has a blue splash Ameraucana rooster in her coop, the hens are mostly different Marans varieties with a couple of Ameraucanas. Either way I am very pleased with the eggs so far. Here is today's egg and the Pullet that laid it.

This is Wormy moments before laying her green egg. She looked so miserable.

Here it is next to the golf ball (my son added the leaves to make the nests pretty now that they're starting to lay eggs)

The white egg is a large store bought egg for comparison.

Great pics, beautiful bird!

It's green...lol...but really, 'olive' is subjective......there are sooo many shades of green, and it's very hard to photograph them accurately....
..and there's no standard card to photo them alongside(like with welsummers and marans) so everyone's screen may show them differently.
You can call it whatever you want.....it looks turquoise to me.

@chicken5555 Funny pic. Is she screaming at you or her first egg experience? She's very pretty and so is her egg! Congrats!

Thank you. Believe it or not, she wasn't making a sound! Two of the other girls more than made up for her silence though. It was unreal. When the two girls started cackling, singing, hollering and making all sorts of sounds, the whole flock went silent and didn't even move. Ten minutes later Wormy hopped up and shuffled around until she laid the egg. My oldest son actually saw it come out and he thought it was absolutely amazing.

@aart The first one was blue enough to make it on the Ameraucana egg color wheel, but this second one is seriously green... er, turquoise. I am still in shock LOL

Back
Top Bottom