The Olive-Egger thread!

I requested membership, just waiting for approval... The chart doesn't go all the way to F4 but I will ask them, thanks!

Question-
Background-I have crossed a BCM Roo with a Whiting Blue....then crossed the offspring with another BCM Roo....now I have a nice olive egg color.
I have crossed back with a Splash Copper Maran to get a Blue chick which I have.

Now the Question-I have been told that this will yield a brown egg because of the last crossing?

Only photo I was able to upload shows the egg in top left (obviously)

Attachments

• 3EEA8DA3-DD68-41D3-9E52-DCB220DF4AA2.jpeg
    3EEA8DA3-DD68-41D3-9E52-DCB220DF4AA2.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 25
Your whiting should of been pure for blue eggs so it had two genes for blue. Marans are not carrying blue egg genes so they have two copies of non blue (white)
Your first cross gave you one blue gene and one non blue gene. Blue is dominate so even with one copy of the gene the bird lays blue eggs. Of course you're bringing in the marans brown to make the blue to green (olive)
Here's the problem. Marans don't carry blue. So offspring will only get non blue from them. Your crosses carry one blue and one non blue. Therefor everytime you cross back to the marans the offspring produced has a 50% chance of getting the blue gene and a 50% chance of getting the non blue.
So about half will lay green and half will lay blue.

All this genetics talk has my head spinning.
Just in case anyone is interested I have 2 OE boys looking for homes.
White one is FBCM x Isbar
Black one is Americauna x Isbar
Geauga County Ohio. Will meet within reason.

Attachments

• 20180928_173302.jpg
    20180928_173302.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 27
  • 20180928_151957.jpg
    20180928_151957.jpg
    874.4 KB · Views: 24
So you dont think a dark olive hen crossed with a Splash Copper Marans will yield a chick that will lay brown?
That would be great if the offspring will lay green or blue!!
Your whiting should of been pure for blue eggs so it had two genes for blue. Marans are not carrying blue egg genes so they have two copies of non blue (white)
Your first cross gave you one blue gene and one non blue gene. Blue is dominate so even with one copy of the gene the bird lays blue eggs. Of course you're bringing in the marans brown to make the blue to green (olive)
Here's the problem. Marans don't carry blue. So offspring will only get non blue from them. Your crosses carry one blue and one non blue. Therefor everytime you cross back to the marans the offspring produced has a 50% chance of getting the blue gene and a 50% chance of getting the non blue.

No I believe that cross will produce about 1/2 that will lay green/olive and about 1/2 will lay brown eggs.
Every time you cross back to a marans you'll get the 50/50 split of green and brown.

So you dont think a dark olive hen crossed with a Splash Copper Marans will yield a chick that will lay brown?
That would be great if the offspring will lay green or blue!!
Your crosses carry one blue and one non blue. Therefor everytime you cross back to the marans the offspring produced has a 50% chance of getting the blue gene and a 50% chance of getting the non blue.

Most with OEs think the can bring in the blue gene then keep going back to a marans to get darker and darker green.
That's a dead end street unless your ok with only producing 50% of what you want.

What needs to be done is when you get a good dark green you need to breed the offspring to each other.
That will give you 25% brown t0% single blue gene and 25% double blue gene (pure for blue eggs)
Then you have to test breed to find the double gene birds. Breed the birds to a white or brown egg breed. Wait till those offspring start laying. If any chicks lay brown or white you know the parent was a single gene. If every offspring lays blue or green you know they are double gene.
Once you establish which are double gene you continue by breeding those with the darkest eggs. Continue advancing with the darkest egg layers.
At that point if you ever breed back to a marans you're back to square one.

Back
Top Bottom