The ONE pest I didn't prepare for.

when i taught science and wasps came around the outdoor lunch tables, I had all the kids put a tiny bit of their lunch into a place on the table as a gift to the wasps s. They loved watching the wasps eat the meats and fruits while, they - the kids - ate their lunches too... No one got hurt (kids nor wasps) all ate peacefully and all went their own way after lunch.... I SUGGEST YOU MAKE A PLACE TO FEED THE WASPS away from your coops... win-win-win every life is needed on our planet to keep the balance of nature in harmony. DON'T KILL now and boo hoo later....

Chickens and chicks will eat the wasps if they can catch them. My wife once stunned a paper wasp an dropped it in the brooder, the chicks were probably three weeks old. They really enjoyed playing keepaway with that wasp until one finally ate it. And I've seen an adult catch one and eat it but they can be hard for a chicken to catch.

When I was a kid I saw a young kitten climb on top of a fence post right under a hornet nest. A hornet stung that kitten on the back of it's head. The kitten died. I think it is highly unlikely a wasp would sting a chick and kill it but I can't say the chicks are totally safe. The wasp nests should be high enough there really isn't much interaction between the wasps and chicks. You are probably in more danger of disturbing them. If you disturb them they can become aggressive. I've experienced that, it was by accident on my part.

I don't like using a pesticide around the chickens. I your coop is well ventilated the fumes should dissipate pretty quickly but I would not want them eating a dead wasp or something else that got sprayed. The dosage that would kill a wasp probably won't be enough to kill or harm a baby chick but it just doesn't feel right. When most people spray a wasp nest they usually overdo it, the dosage may be high. The dish soap spray sounds like a good option.

Instead of using a pesticide like Raid or some other poison, I use 8-in-1 Mite and Lice spray. It is made specifically made to spray directly on birds. I was a wildlife rehabber for decades and I used it safely on every species of bird, from juveniles to adults. It has the added advantage of taking care of pretty much any bug you spray it on. I use it small aggressive yellow jacket type wasps we have here. I knock down the nest and spray the spot where the nest was. It completely discourages them from re-nesting in that area. Works wonders and won't harm your chickens! If you spray the wasp itself, it will die but I try not to spray them - I don't want to kill them, just encourage them to move somewhere they will be less likely to feel they have to defend from me. I won't get stung and they get to fulfill their role in nature. It's a win/win. Good luck!

Using Dawn dish soap is also a safe and effective way to kill any insects, like lice or mites, on your chickens (or any mammal for that matter). I used to Dawn bathe any animal, bird or mammal, that came to my facility that had mites, lice, fleas, etc. Use warm water, lather the Dawn over the entire body starting just behind the ears and working to the other end (always avoid the face, ears, eyes, and mouth), let the soap sit for 2 minutes, then rinse and WAA LAA! no live insects! I've done this with rescued mite-infested chickens brought to me for care. Works every time and is gentle and safe. I've never tried putting Dawn on a surface like wood to discourage wasp nest building. If anyone has success with that, let me know!

I wouldn't use a pesticide where our babies & flock could eat the dearly departed for fear that consumption could prove deadly to them since most aren't to be used around pets. Soap & water, if it works, sounds better as does the artificial nests. You could even try vegetable oil.

Using Dawn dish soap is also a safe and effective way to kill any insects, like lice or mites, on your chickens (or any mammal for that matter). I used to Dawn bathe any animal, bird or mammal, that came to my facility that had mites, lice, fleas, etc. Use warm water, lather the Dawn over the entire body starting just behind the ears and working to the other end (always avoid the face, ears, eyes, and mouth), let the soap sit for 2 minutes, then rinse and WAA LAA! no live insects! I've done this with rescued mite-infested chickens brought to me for care. Works every time and is gentle and safe. I've never tried putting Dawn on a surface like wood to discourage wasp nest building. If anyone has success with that, let me know!
My nephew sprays wasp nests with Dawn and water- says it kills them. I haven’t tried it yet.

Wasps like tuna alot, if you don't want wasps around, don't throw tuna all over the yard.
If you don't throw tuna all over the yard how are you supposed to keep the rattlesnakes away?
Do you think pumpkin seeds would work?

Back
Top Bottom