The others are laying why isn't she?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lakecountychick, Aug 12, 2007.

1. lakecountychick

lakecountychick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2007
    [​IMG] I have two red sex links and two EE since March 1st. All but one EE has been laying eggs for at least two weeks. The RSL's for about a month. Is something wrong or is she just immature for her age? thanks

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I have 6 pullets that were hatched on March 3rd.
    None had layed...Until today!
    I had 5 pullet eggs waiting on me when I came home today.

So 1 on my 6 is still not laying yet, but it could happen anytime now.
    Don't worry, just give them time, it will happen.[​IMG]

3. lakecountychick

lakecountychick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2007
    Isn't it fun finding eggs? Thanks for your reply, I feel better> I found that the others would let me pet them more as they got closer to laying( hindsight) and this one EE is still very skittish. Thanks again.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:Have you been checking the nests every day? Could be you only have two girls laying for a week or so. Odd for 5 to start the same day, especially if all the eggs are the same color :p

5. mamading

mamading Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2007
    Rhinelander, WI
    Do you have any roosters in your group? If all you have is females then one of the girls will act as the "rooster" and therefore won't lay eggs.

6. Firefly

Firefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Connecticut
    I've had a similar experience... I bought all 5 of my day old chicks on the same day in March. One has just started laying, two are close (showing the signs) and two haven't really even developed much of their combs yet. Very strange! This is my first time with chickens so I have no idea if they develop at different rates, or if I didn't actually get all day-old chicks (I doubt this).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by