the oyster shell experiment = FAIL!

The only time I experimented with putting shells in with feed I had the same thing happen.

I just leave it in a separate container. We feed layer feed and a lot of garden scraps, and it must work for them, as I almost never have to tend to the shell feeder. All our eggs are presently nice and smooth.

One reason not to mix things in with their feed. They know what they need and what they don't when it comes to these things. Adding it to the feed you could end up with too much or too little or they could scatter things all over trying to only eat what they need. It is good to keep oyster shell out even if they don't currently need it. Their needs change throughout the year especially if you free range in a northern climate where the feed changes a lot and around a molt so while it may result in too much calcium right now in a month or 2 it might keep you from getting a few softshell eggs. It's worth setting up something to hold both oyster shell and grit. A couple extra 1lb hanging feeders will do it or for very small numbers of chickens I've used those metal rabbit feed dishes with the tabs you can bend over any type of bar or thin piece of wood.

Back
Top Bottom