The Painted Bird

bsterman

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
I recently read a book by Jerzy Kosinski called The Painted Bird. It is a very important, but disturbing book about a young boy orphaned in Poland in WWII. In that book, there is a scene - from which the book gets its title - where a bird catcher paints a bird with bright colors and then releases it back into its flock. The other birds, not recognizing it, attack it and drive it from the flock - to the point of killing it. Does anyone have any knowledge about whether this is indeed true - and would that really happen?

Thanks for the help.

B

I can't say for sure but its possible. Chickens will peck at another's feathers if there is something there they think may be food. If the bird gets pecked enough to draw blood, the others are likely to keep after it.

It probably highly depends on the type of bird, how they recognize each other, and their social behaviors which may require them all to conform. I bet chickens or sparrows could care less, while something like a parrot could have a much harder time.

Jerzy Kosinski. He wrote Being There (remember the movie with Peter Sellers?). This story is pretty much autobiographical.

I think it's probably true (and yes, it is a very disturbing book). Once my green parakeets got out of the cage while on my pation and every bird in the vicinity, from Jays to sparrows came after them. They were glad to rush back to their cage!

Quote:
Color probably had nothing to do with being chased out of the area. They were probably seen as intruders regardless of bird type so everyone wanted them to go away unless they could "fight" for a spot in the trees. Glad you got your birds back though after the escape escapade. Had one of my parakeets fly out the door and right back in once. About had a heart attack! Bird probably thought, oh crud! No ceiling!!!

Back
Top Bottom