The Peeps are here...some bad news. -UPDATE-I am at a loss...HELP! :o(

Quote:
Hey!
Should we move this to Games to get an update?
smile.png

Hey Gang-

Update...the chicks are doing fine. So far. I still have the 22 that survived last weekend. They are getting big and some are even starting to sprout little combs.
love.gif

Most have their wing feathers out and just fuzzy tufts where the tail feathers should appear soon. They are so cute!
love.gif

I will have to take a picture of them to post on here...
wee.gif

Tomorrow I should get the next batch. I just hope they are ALL ok and make it home safe.
fl.gif

I have been a nervous wreck all day today! I was thinking, last night that they'd come in today but when I called Welp (where I ordered from) they said they sent yesterday and should be here tomorrow.
th.gif

By the way...I have NO idea what happened or why the chicks arrived dead. I think it was the PO and how they were shipped because the box was divided in two. 26 BRs on one side and 26 Orps on the other. All but 1 Orp died on the one side and only ONE BR died on the other.

(Since then the little Orp died and I have lost 3 BRs as well...)
hit.gif

Sooo, I think they were either set wrong on dock or while in transport.

That's what I think. I don't think it was a Welp issue...for the record. They have been very gracious in working on replenishing the lost birds.
smile.png

I will take MORE pictures tomorrow of the new arrivals and post them on here...PROMISE!
roll.png

Thanks for asking and again...your kind words helped!

Peace-

Pedro
cool.png

PS I am doing OK. I went to an interview at Home Depot and it sounds like I might get the job. Hold those good thoughts for me! What with the new chicks and looking for work...I am so weirded out! I need a DRINK!
hmm.png

Last edited:
*Sprinkles chill pill dust all over Pedro*

By the way, your mailbox was full last night. Call me anything you want. I've been call worse I'm sure! Some have called me a witch like it's a bad thing!

Keeping my fingers crossed for good luck on the job possibility.
fl.gif

Quote:
Hey Kat-

Whew! Good to know! I just emptied my inbox. Geesh! I didn't realize it was that full! I had two pages! They DO love me!!!
wee.gif

th.gif

I will TRY to sleep tonight because tomorrow will come REAL soon!

Peace-

Pedro

PS Thanks for the dust...I need it!
big_smile.png
I have, also, been called many a name...
roll.png

Well, I got the other 26 chicks tonight and 11 were dead the rest struggling. Four of the live ones I had to help because they could not even get up. I could see they were breathing but they were, laying on their sides, struggling to breathe.
sad.png

It is a good thing I had my house-mate here to help me revive them. He was funny...trying to help me give the chicks some sugar/water from a mouse drink bottle. Holding them over the furnace vents until they stood on their own.

It took some time and LOTS of patience but they eventually wiggled up on their feet. We were in their trying to revive them for like 45 minutes. It was well worth it seems like...it seemed to do the trick.
ya.gif

Out of the four...three are in there with the gang hanging out. I was only able to save three! The other one died in my hands.
hit.gif

I think the three are going to make it. I just need to keep on them. They were all able to stand up and some even walked around a bit! This is BIG time progress for, when I started, they were on their sides gasping, barely able to open their beaks!
sad.png

They are making such a ruckus and what's interesting is the big chicks come to them and huddle with them. I think they will help keep them warm but, I am still worried.
barnie.gif

OK...so, I am trying to NOT think of the 11 other dead birds. Ugh! It breaks my heart to see so many poor babies dead. I knew SOME would be but THAT many?
hit.gif

It's going to be a long night tonight...
th.gif

Well, as promised there is the update...:|

I am just going to deal with the ones I got now and chuck it to bad timing. Next time, I will NOT order any birds before March delivery. I feel SO bad that I put them through such stress!
hit.gif

Thanks for listening...I am not in the mood to take pictures tonight. I will tomorrow when, hopefully...I am a bit sunnier.
hmm.png

Peace-

Pedro

PS SO now there are 15 more peeps so that makes the total to 22 + 15 = 37
fl.gif

Last edited:
Hey Pedro

So sorry to see all your dissapointment in recieving your babies in such bad shape and losing so many. It is extremely cold where I live and I usually don't order chicks until at least april here but have still had a few arrive dead. I watched a documentary once on how those little babies are handled right out of the eggs and I was horrified, it is a wonder any make it to us alive. I am talking about Canadian hatcheries though and have decided that this year I am going to hatch my own and only order a few exotic babies. I just found one of my barred rock hens sitting on eggs yesterday and it being so cold I didn't want to let her but she won't stay off the nest even when I took the eggs away. So today I let her have her eggs and am hoping for the best. I may end up bringing her and her babies in the house though because it is way too early and cold here.

Quote:
Thanks. I know...I am kicking myself right now. I feel just awful! I can't get the image of those dead babies out of my head...
hit.gif

Pedro

Last edited:
Don't be so hard on yourself. I'm sure all the hatcheries know how much of a risk it is to send out babies early so they should be protected better for shipping, or have them shipped differently until the weather warms up. My sister lost 45 babies in one shipping in May when the weather was good because of the shipping. My boss comes from Arizona and still orders her chicks from the US because she doesn't trust Canadian hatcheries. Her last batch arrived safely at the border and did very well but the last time she tried ordering they changed customs and she couldn't order them. She is very dissapointed and is now going to try to hatch her own before her hens get too old.

Back
Top Bottom