The pencil test...

2mnypets

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 11, 2007
Saucier, Mississippi
Can someone please enlighten me as to what a pencil test is when it comes to trying to sex a baby chick? I was on the Homesteading Today forum and someone said (and gave the link) they saw a person trying to sell something on a well known auction site that swore it would tell what the sex of your chickens were. Everyone in the forum stated that it was the "ol pencil test". I guess I'm ignorant because I have no clue what that test is. Just curious and thanks.
frow.gif

The only pencils test I know of involves how saggy your @##@'s have gotten!
ep.gif
So I don't think that would be of any help but I am intersted to here what the other involves. Good Luck!

The pencil test is when you suspend a pencil from a string & put it over the chick. Let it get still & then wait for the pencil to start swinging back & forth for one sex & in a circular motion for the other. I am not sure which is witch on the sexes though.

i've done this same test with a needle and thread, not a pencil. if the needle swings back and forth in a staright line, boy. in a circle, girl. it's not a scientifically proven test by any means but the few times i've done it were correct. it works on pregnant women as well(held over that beautiful belly). worked for my wife both times and for all my sisters as well

Back
Top Bottom