The 'Perfect' Coop?

Mom2Twinz

Hatching
10 Years
May 10, 2009
PA
Hi everyone! I have had a flock of 7 which has now become a flock of 16 (the new babies are not in the henhouse at this time). Right now the older chickens are in a 4x6x5 house with access to a 8x20 run and free range in the evening on 2 acres.

Time to make a bigger palace! I have a friend who has offered to build a new coop for only the cost of the materials (he is a skilled craftsman, so I am thrilled!). So, what I would like to ask is, what would be the ideal size for this many chickens? Would would your ideal coop include? Any pics to share? Any suggestions? I want to make sure I get it all right and get everything I need in there.

Thanks so much for all your help!

i wish i had built mine with a seperate section for new birds and additional run space that could be isolated. build it about 20% larger than you think you need. you can allways block off some space to keep the cleaning to a minimum. my birds seem to really enjoy the skylight so you might want to consider one. one of my suggestions for the sticky post by River Lizard was for a "wooda cooda shooda section. you might want to check out that thread before you carve any plans in stone.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=196316

Thank you for the input so far! I really don't want to have too many "shoulda, coulda, woulda's" when it's done. Trying to get as many ideas as I can and make it looks as nice as possible.
smile.png

Hi, so quickly 17 will goto 30.. LOL Heres my coop page, it should be done this weekend (weather permiting)

My husband also builds.. but we will not follow the design and do these kinds of walls again.. standard stud walls would have been great , but we needed backers for the barn wood.. Anyway.. We put our hens on the left side with room for chicks or broodies and on the other side with the open , no door area is a storage side with a 6 foot door.. however the meaties go in there for 8 weeks out of the year.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=30900

OH.. I wanted to add, we've done this for around $1500.00 .. free barn wood, recycled windows and this includes 460.00 for the concrete costs. I found the bathroom tile board for only $7.00 and we had some insulation from building the house.. The inside fencing was also leftover and I still have to buy felt paper and outside pen materials. Also.. found the shingles that even matched our house for $15.00 bucks a bundle instead of 30.00
Good luck with your adventure..

Last edited:
Quote:
Thats a perfect little coop.. I love that you put roost outside as well as in.. I don't see that often but think its great.. I have got to show the hubby the pop door auto closer.. LOL I've been telling him thats what I want and now I can show him. What did you use so it slides easily? Thanks Kim

Back
Top Bottom