The perfect dog is not totally perfect...

No matter what you do to give the dog limited access, i still think you should do something to help him not want to eat raw eggs. I think the pepper filled egg is a good idea.

I Had the same problem.... I took some scrap wood and but a chicken sized opening in it and then attached that over the opening from inside the coop. Didn't have to change the door or mess with that part! Easy Peasy!

Sandra

ps. eggs make a good treat every ONCE IN A WHILE. So don't train him not to eat them...just keep him out of the coop

Hechicken and Dovecanyon have good ideas. But first I would make the pop door correct size which is 10" X 14" tall, or even less. I would then do a 2 X 4 walkboard with steps/cleats every 4". That should do it. The tabaco sauce thing sounds good too. Leave a doctored egg outside for doggie and replace it often until he/she gets the idea that they are not always so good.

Quote:
Thanks so much, everyone! DH has agreed to make a new walkboard from a 2X4 so my sweet doggie can't get in. We're also going to just put a 2x4 down the center of the window on the inside so chickens can get through but not doggies! DH also mentioned that he thinks we had a chicken lay those 2 eggs the dog ate right out in the open grass run (they're new egg layers, so first timers have been known to drop an egg right in the open before)...so maybe we don't have the problem we think. But we're still going to dog-proof the coop!

I practically trained our Sarplaninac to seek out and eat raw eggs..
lau.gif

Very occasionally, I'll toss one into his food bowl...just for a treat. He goes berserk for eggs.. Loves'em. I haven't done that in a while, though, since it actually got to the point there if he smelled any chicken scent on my hands (if I'd just filled the chickens' feed or water, for instance) he'd try to check my pockets for eggs. That's not great, because he's not so gentle...and, yeah, sometimes I have (errr....had) an egg in my pocket..
gig.gif
gig.gif
barnie.gif

He can't get in the coop, btw, and the lid to our nest box is about chest level on me and is secured with two safety hasps...he's not getting in there. It's a comical thing around our place...nothing we worry about. If he finds an errant egg out on the ground, we totally consider it to be fair game and his for the taking.
big_smile.png

That's the way mine is too. We have actually tried putting him to work locating eggs layed in stupid places by stubborn hens who don't like the coop. If he finds it on the floor, he can have it. But he can't get into the coop unless I open the door for him. But he is pretty good about me collecting eggs. He's a shameless beggar, but won't TOUCH an egg unless I tell him it's ok.
I love my puppy!

I gathered eggs the other day and set it down to go feed the horses and when I got back I had about 1/2 of the eggs I had collected, note to self Dogs will eat eggs!!!
rant.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
lol.png

Learned the same thing many years ago at Easter. Colored about 3 doz. eggs and got up early and hid them for the kids, but forgot about our Lab being out. When we went looking, we only found 4 eggs and a few pieces of colored eggshells. A rather disappointing year for the kids, but definitely learned our lesson!
tongue.png

The hot sauce is a good idea, but make sure there's plenty of water, you don't really want the dog to suffer too much. If you want to feed your dog eggs on occassion (I do), break them up and mix them in with her food, that way she doesn't equate whole eggs with what she gets in her bowl.

Back
Top Bottom