The Perfect Farm

Quote:
My family visited when I was working one day and I just kept telling them well I can stop now and I listed like 200 things I had to do I showed them the baby chicks and calves and thats it and thats only because I had to feed and water both of them !

We bought our first dream place three years go. It was a weed patch of just under five acres. It had no fences, no sheds, no barn...just a double-wide manufactured home that had been 'renovated' on the cheap. But it was in our price range and we had dreams of what we could turn it into... we have no real money so things had to be done on the cheap.

Since then we have installed fencing so at least half the place can hold horses. We built a shed to store hay, and got a free aluminium (yes...that's how most to the world spells it) garden shed (Craigs List is a blessing) and cleared the tumble weeds and made a start on the goat heads (punture vines).

We also have a barn which we started to build...the first start got blown down in severe storm...but now she is up and partly finished on the inside. Having the barn has given us so much more space to get things done - especially in winter.

And of course we built a chook run (chicken coop)

So we went from this:

P1010174.jpg

To this :

IMG_1972.jpg

And the chook run under construction..

IMG_5710.jpg

And yes...we have yellow farm theme. (and we are SICK of painting)

Last edited:
My dream is to have a small poultry farm -- chickens and geese definitely, with some ducks, a turkey or two, and possibly peafowl (I love white peafowl!). It would mostly be a hobby farm, though I'd like to sell fresh eggs. I wouldn't really plan on making any money off of it.
smile.png
I'm not really interested in raising any other kinds of animals at this point; animals are hard work, and I don't think I'd want to quit my job and run a farm full-time.

As far as the farmhouse, I think I'd build the house myself (well, I'd hire someone to build it for me
wink.png
). I want room to have a nice house, with spacious rooms and big windows to enjoy the scenery from. I want a big country kitchen with lots of room for baking, and a large pantry for storage.
smile.png
I love entertaining so I'd like a big living room and dining room. My DH wants to fulfill his dream of having his very own basement video game room, so we'll need room for that, too.

Outdoors, I want so many trees that I don't even know neighbors or a road to anywhere exists.
smile.png
I'd like plenty of room for gardening in the summers.

Land around here is $10,000-$12,000 an acre in the "good" school districts, so we're thinking about getting around 5 acres, zoned AG so I can keep poultry. Any more than that and the price just skyrockets.

Okay, so now that I've posted OUR place. I'm 19, and eventually I'd like to buy 20 acres 3/4 open land 1/4 trail-able bush. I want to have either the Historic Home people from Newtonville, Ontario come build me a house (they're new houses specifically designed and built in the same way as century homes, they build them in Newcastle, dissemble and build onsite). Probably a regency cottage, OR Log Farm Building who are in my area, they find old century log homes, take them apart, put them back up on your property, then renovate them inside. I want either a raised-aisle barn with a slate blue board and batten exterior and 2 10x10 stalls made of Hemlock with a half dutch door, and 4 12x12 stalls of Hemlock with a half dutch door. I'll have a tackoom, outside wash station (IE. just a spigot on the outside with hot and cold water LOL).

I want all my horse fencing to be the same as we have here at the farm.

Then, I want a second smaller barn, probably just a 12x15 barn with a few small stalls to keep goats in, each will have a run off them (dutch doors to the outside, the ones with glass from SystemFencing) using the horsemans fencing with a 4ft slate blue gate at the end, they'll have a roof as well so that the goats or sheep can have access to outside at night without me having to worry about coyotes etc. So it'll be like a chicken run for them, the roof will be as high as the end of the barn roof. All the stalls will lead onto a large pasture that is fencing in with horsemans fencing with a cedar top rail.

I'll also have a nice large chicken coop, big enough for 30 layers, raised aisle, with the roosts in the raised aisle and windows on either side along the aisle walls. They'll have a smaller covered run which opens onto a huge run fenced with horsemans fence again.

AND it'll be called one of the following (cause I like them lol), Bumbleberry Farms, Godrichs Hollow, or Thickets Edge Farms (as it will be on the edge of a bit of bush, or thicket).

Yeahhhhhhh I'm not a planner at all.

OhHHH and I MUST have a hand washer, you can buy them from Berry Hill, It can sit on the laundry room porch so I can wash my laundry by hand during the summer.

And don't forget the massive veggie patch
smile.png

I love our 22.87 acres, but would love to one day either move an old farmhouse with a wrap around porch or build a new old house. Other than that
smile.png
I'm quite happy where we are with all our critters and our own slice of heaven.
love.gif

We're living on our dream farm. 74 acres. Moved in here about 4 years ago, and plan on staying here for the rest of our lives, then passing it down to our children. We have been blessed many times. Maybe eventually bringin in dairy cows. Who knows what will happen in a few years, all I know is that I love our farm and could not ask for anything else.

we just moved in to our dream home.we live on 6 acres. we bought 5 acres of it about 4 years ago and then when we waited for the house to come up for sale we bought that it came with 1 acre it had already been fenced and had a barn on it already.

this is our little slice of haven
15518_look_the_feild_is_cut.jpg

15518_chicken_coop_016.jpg

15518_new_animals_and_the_nc_house-2008_018.jpg

big farm with a big barn and chicken coop. with horses, cows, and perhaps a few goats and sheep. and lots of veggies. and herbs. and some farmhands, cuz I'm not cleaning all that poop all by myself!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom