The Perfect Roost?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mpguay, May 13, 2011.

1. mpguay

mpguay Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    I've read about and seen many night roosts for chickens. I've seen that some people think a flat 2x4 is the best.
    REally?
    what do chickens like?
    I've also seem people let their birds roost on a flat ledge (I'm imagining the poop buildup)also.

I am using a broom stick. Please offer some opinions.

Mary

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I use a flat 2x4, I've read that chickens shouldn't use round perches because their feet get all curled up. With the 2x4 their foot is flat.

3. Carolynspeeps

Carolynspeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I always heard that the round roost pole needed to be at least 2 inches in diameter. The Flat 2x4 is good for colder climates too. Requires the birds to sit on their feet which keeps them warm.

4. mpguay

mpguay Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    thank you -

How high off the ground? many levels or one?

5. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    My big girls use a 2x4 the bantams use a 2x2. Big girls about 4 feet high bantams between 3 and 3 and a half ft. high

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  6. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    Since my chickens can't talk....I go with what sounds logical to me, and that is a 2x4 board with the wide side for them to set on. It makes perfect sense to me that if they can (and they do) squat down and lay directly on their feet, it would keep their feet warm when it's cold out.
    Plus, chickens are on the ground with their feet layed out flat, walking or standing 60% of the time unlike your standard birds (sparrows, mocking birds, robins, etc....) that fly up into trees or sit on high wires probably 90% of the time. It makes sense for a standard bird I mentioned, to be able to wrap their feet around something that is round.
    To each their own though, I guess. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by