The Pigs Are Doing Fine

Are these a 4H project or are you raising for food or other?
Hamlet1.jpg

This was our Hampshire (sp) Hammie, AKA Hammond, AKA Ham and eggs when we first got him back in February.

wild hogs dont actually get to 1000lbs. that thing in georgia was kinda false. the boy did kill it after 3hrs of shooting it but it wasnt actually a wild hog. here's the story:

FRUIT HURST, Ala. — The Mystery of the Monster pig appears to have been solved.

The 1,051-pound hog, shot and killed by 11-year-old Jamison Stone and the subject of a world-wide Web firestorm over the photo's authenticity, really is...

Fred.

That's "Fred" the pig, and according to Rhonda and Phil Blissitt their humongous hog escaped on April 29, four days before it was killed, according to the Star newspaper.

Late Thursday evening, their claims were confirmed by Andy Howell, Game Warden for the Alabama Department of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries.

"I didn't want to stir up anything," Rhonda Blissitt said. "I just wanted the truth to be told. That wasn't a wild pig."

Her husband agreed.

"If it went down in the record book, it would be deceiving, and we'd know that for the rest of our lives."

The monster hog gained worldwide acclaim after he was bagged by 11-year-old Jamison Stone, a Pickensville native, with a .50-caliber pistol on May 3 at the Lost Creek Plantation, LLC, a hunting preserve in Delta. The big boar was hunted inside a large, low-fence enclosure and fired upon 16 times by Stone, who struck the animal nearly a half-dozen times during the three-hour hunt.

nevertheless it was a HUGE hog

Looks like they are having a good old time in all the mud!

I remember when we had a pig. We only had one, but he was such a mess! We kept him with our huge goats and he rooted up the entire pen which had once been filled with grass. He only lived for two years, before his hips gave out due to his size. He never really grew too larger, but grew very fast, much like a meat chicken will. I've read that they grow up until they are five years old, so he probably would have been much bigger!

Sometimes I think pigs are almost messier than ducks! lol

Yup, I was mighty disappointed when I saw that boar was killed in a canned hunt. I hate that whole concept, and I don't care what size the enclosure is.
Anyway, edbama2, I'm so glad the piggies are better every day! I forget from the original post - were they in that enclosure you are picturing when the dog got them, or somewhere else? Did the dog go over the top?

Quote:
Turns out the owner of the "hunting preserve" bought Fred...he's now being investigated for fraud, etc.

That boy hunted down Rhonda and Phil Blissitt's tame pet, which had never known humans to ever hurt it...pretty sad!

Two of the pigs are mine and one for sure if not both will be pets. The other 2 will be going to a friends house when they are big enough to go in a pen with a 500 pound wild hog. I would like to have a litter of piglets and that is also the purpose of getting the other ones big enough. Yes that is the pen that they got into. They had to go over the top to get in. The electric fence is at the bottom on the inside to keep the pigs in. The way pigs tear up the ground the electric is needed or they would knock down most fences. Making Bacon is back to his normal self, aggressive at the food troth. He thinks he eats first and pushes the others away until he is done. The farmer that I got them from said he lost about 10 the same week to some dogs. He said I was lucky to get in there as quick as I did. I increased the height of the fence with some tin since the incident.
wee.gif

If you are still looking for a small breed of pig try potbellys. We have had Daisy our potbelly pig for 9 years. She is the best. We got her when she was 8wks old which is really too old. It's best to get them at 4 wks old so they tame easier. Daisy doesn't like to be pet or rubbed but she will definently take food outta your hand. I don't know if she is different than other potbellys but she doesn't root very often. She will lay out in the mud or in her kiddie pool. She hates to be alone so she follows the horses all day. If she gets bored with them then she'll come up to our deck and hang out with us as long as we don't try to pet her. We can't keep her in a fence but she never leaves our property. She just travels from the pasture to the goat pen to the back and front yard. She is very non aggressive! A great pig for a pet!

Back
Top Bottom