The Pigs Are Doing Fine

edbama2

Songster
12 Years
Feb 6, 2007
Slocomb, Alabama
I have a few pictures here. They are very alert and moving like normal around their pen. I even rewarded them with our old cast iron tub. They were in it today but, left before I could get a picture.
HPIM1741.jpg
HPIM1740.jpg
HPIM1739.jpg
wee.gif

Two of them have since taken a bath. They are like children in the tub. Splashing around and all. Making Bacon is staying with the mud baths still but took his place as alpha pig. The mud is probably better for healing his wounds. I am glad because I want piglets again. He probably got his damage protecting the others.
wee.gif

Ed, so glad they are doing fine. They look like small pigs. How old, and what breed? I was wanting to get a few pigs, but want a smaller breed. I wont want some 1000 pound hog! LOL

Thank You! Someone on another post said they were Yorkshires I think. I have only had them for about 6 weeks. I don't know how old they were when I got them.
wee.gif

yeah me and my boy wanted a couple of pigs too...smaller ones hopefully...how big do those fellas get? Where did you get em?

I got my pigs from the local feed store bulletin board. I have been looking on petfinder too. There are alot out there. I am not sure what size they get up to. I now know that a wild hog can get over 1000 lbs. www.petfinder.com just put in your zip code and click on the what type of animal.
wee.gif

I am glad to see your pigs are doing ok. They are yorkshires which are the most common breed of market pig. They are known to be lean and produce large litters. Pigs are pretty amazing animals. Most pigs go to market at 264 lbs or so. I saw a Duroc boar at the fair that was about 1000 lbs and yes the boars will get that big is you let them and feed them alot. Most boars top out at 500 lbs as well as a sow. What is amazing about pigs is at birth they are boarn with eyes open and have teeth! They are up and around soon after birth. I don't know of a small breed of standard pigs. Maybe a pot belly pig or a guinea hog. Some pot belly top out at 100 lbs or so. Pigs are notorious gazers and will clean out a pen of vegatation in no time.

Back
Top Bottom