Protect coop from mini pig?

Debemia

Chirping
Aug 24, 2020
I have 2 chickens, 1.5yr apart in age and my older australorp killed 3 speckled Sussex on the same day! So with only one SS left, I had to make a partition so they have separate coop/runs. Over the past year, the wood of the coop weakened with the elements and the mini pig (which I've had since much before the chickens) figured how to get in to take their food. She does not harm the chickens, only all our hard work lol

We've tried more wood, more hardware cloth... pig just thinks it's a fun game at this point. 🙄 I'm just dealing with a very STRONG animal with all days worth of time to figure it out so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on something else I can do on a budget to keep a measly 2 chickens coops safe. Thanks

I'm just dealing with a very STRONG animal with all days worth of time to figure it out
For the health of the mini pig I'd block it out.

Consider using a pig (hog) panel. , secured onto some pound in T post or even directly to the building.

Stock yard fencing (if you have any on hand).. either buried a couple feet, secured to a solid 2x4 rail at the bottom so they can't push and squeeze under, or even coming out a couple feet apron style so they're standing on it and not able to go under has been very successful for us. Maybe post pics for better suggestions.

Yes, they're pig headed :)love) and so strong at maturity plus have all day to check every weakness in our set ups.. and know well how to WORK the weak points. :he

The (mini) pigs have never YET made it into my elevated coops.

Piggy or chicken pics welcome, if you wanna share.

Sorry for your loss!

Back
Top Bottom