THE PLOT THICKENS....Unplanned Staggered Hatch- Advice Needed!

Here is the first batch right before I put them into lockdown. I had to add a bowl of water this am as humidity got down to 44. I was quick about it, haha I don't know how I am going to turn eggs during lockdown. I was a nervous wreck just adding water!!!!

I don't think you are supposed to turn them during lockdown are ya?
Haha, No you are right, you are not supposed to turn them in lockdown. But I have a staggered hatch. Meaning some of my eggs will go into lockdown while the others are still in the turning stages. They were set (not on purpose) a week apart. That is the dilemma of this whole post.
So I had to decide when the first set goes into lockdown if I was going to just let the second batch lay there while the first batch hatches or go ahead and turn them. I am going to continue to turn them until I get a pip out of the first batch. Its a crappy situation but this seemed like the smartest route.

Haha, No you are right, you are not supposed to turn them in lockdown. But I have a staggered hatch. Meaning some of my eggs will go into lockdown while the others are still in the turning stages. They were set (not on purpose) a week apart. That is the dilemma of this whole post.
So I had to decide when the first set goes into lockdown if I was going to just let the second batch lay there while the first batch hatches or go ahead and turn them. I am going to continue to turn them until I get a pip out of the first batch. Its a crappy situation but this seemed like the smartest route.
Ohhhhh OK good luck

I did this with great results. I kept my humidity low, 25 to 30% for the first 18 days. Then I waited for the first pip to raise it to 50 to 60%. With the eggs that weren't due for another week I just put my hand in there and rolled them quickly. But after the first pip I stopped. After the first batch were hatched I cleaned the incubator real quick then kept it DRY! NO WATER! I left it for the week, continued to turn and when the first one pipped on day 19 I raised the humidity which had been down to 16 to 20 all week. The second batch hatched out with no problems. The first hatch I got 17 out of 20 the second hatch I got 14 out of 16. Out of the ones that didn't make it from the second batch, one pipped the wrong end and hit a blood vessel and the other one never pipped. Died in the shell. I always get at least 2 or 3 that don't hatch so I feel I did really well. All chicks happy and healthy with no problems getting out of the shell. Good luck to you!

I have a thread called "Incubating Eggs of Different Ages that you might find useful. My incubator hasn't been empty since January, and I'm constantly setting eggs as soon as I have room, so I came up with a type of hatcher thingy that I put eggs in on day 19 so I can up the humidity with out killing my other eggs. Also, I heard that hatching eggs release a bacteria bloom, so now I'm paranoid about always washing my hands before I touch eggs and scrubbing my hatcher after every hatch. Good luck with your hatches!

Thank you yellowflower! That makes me feel much better. This whole thing is a mess and I am not sure if you read back, but both batches are 10 days old!!! So I am sure I won't get the hatch rates you did. Not to mention they are shipped eggs. It still puts my mind at ease.

Irishgirl the bacteria bloom makes me nervous. I am sure I have some stink bombs going too and don't know it because of their olive color. We had such a good plan I thought... until it all went wrong :) Haha but that is life and we are still learning. Thank you so much, I will check out that thread!

I am probably going to need more help and advice as I go. So sorry to everyone for when I bump this thread a ton of times in the next 2 weeks!

I've turned mine until pip on staggered hatches and had no problem with them last year. This year I was lucky enough to set my eggs at the same time as I have more laying hens now. The only reason I staggered last year was the fact I only had one hen laying. I hatched about 30 chicks from her staggered and they are doing fine and some are laying already.

Back
Top Bottom