The Plymouth Rock Breeders Thread- Part Deux

Pics
Side sprigs. Cull to layers/ sell as layers.

That's my issue but seems sex linked with my situation. Cockerels only. I'll take a close inspection when the pullets combs are full size.

The last photo posted I see a numb on the sides of the blade. It almost looks (my eyes are failing) like a few more are side of point base too.

The definite ones on each side of blade, second to last photo, is classic expression of side sprigs. That is exactly where mine show on cockerels.

The photo might look that way, but they really aren't to the side. They "pour" into a round donut shape. But they go in straight.
Here's the hen with the bad comb:
20190922_065312.jpg

Not trying to be argumentative, but it's more than just side sprigs. Those are pretty clear, and this is weird. The two breeders I reached out to said it's weird too. Hopefully it will be eliminated in one breeding, but documenting in case anyone else ever sees it too.
The poor hen was a victim of an owl I suspect, shortly before 6am. I have work to do on the pen, sigh.

Last edited:
That hen has a bad comb and should not be bred. Offspring of her's may express what she has. This is not what I'm seeing in the last two photos on past page. Those side nubs both sides of blade are definitely side sprigs.

Yes, I had already culled her from breeding.
It's more obvious in person, but the chicks all have donuts just like her, it's just their spikes go into them. Some of the spikes are deformed and stick out sideways, but it's definitely more than a regular side sprig situation.

I think you're looking too far into it. It's not likely coranation or malformed pea comb. It's a bird with a defunct comb and the offspring of others with side sprigs are due to the two lines not niching. It happens a lot.

Carnation combs are what Penedesencas have right? That doesn't look like what my Penes had but it's been literally 15 or 16 years. I do think it might be an issue with two lines not complimenting each other. I'll bet @nicalandia might be able to help out with the genes at play though if it is a genetic issue.

Back
Top Bottom