The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, breeding season is such a short period of time that pulling out the breeding females and do the matings is only a month or two of the year. I don't think you'll have any issues.

I pulled out some females for conditioning in a separate place and taking to the Nationals in Knoxville. They were out of their main group for well over 3 weeks, all told. No issues upon their return.

BTW, crowding and boredom is the #1 issue in most of these negative situations. But all you folks already know that.
Thanks, My chickens always have lots of space and stuff to do, but that is how I have decided to keep them. Maybe someday I'll have more facilities and/or some partners.

LOL Fred. Yes-- I will keep both for sure! They are both beautiful and yours, the Alpha is all boy. Not sure how the other BR male will act--he is last on the totem pole of the 3 and gets no respect yet--but that should change when he's alone with his own females.

Again, thanks for your help.

LOL Fred. Yes-- I will keep both for sure! They are both beautiful and yours, the Alpha is all boy. Not sure how the other BR male will act--he is last on the totem pole of the 3 and gets no respect yet--but that should change when he's alone with his own females.

Again, thanks for your help.

Yeeee up!!! That right there. He'll come right into his own when he gets his own pen and he can mate the females you give him without fear of looking over his shoulder for the other Alpha.

BTW, folks. I find it much easier to set up three pens with a female in each and move the cockbird between the females little pens.
If he gets moved, he doesn't mind. Females don't care for change and it can effect their egg laying at a time when all you want from her is eggs, fertile eggs to be precise. Moving the male just works better. He can spend 3 days in pen A and move him to pen B for three days and then onto pen C for 3 days.

The females doesn't need to be under him 24/7 being worn bare. Just as long as the male comes for a conjugal visit once a week for a couple of days, it's all good.

Good plan Fred. I agree that the male does not need to be there all of the time running the hens ragged. I have 3 large pens with large runs. Can I leave all the females in the main pen where they are at now and put the 2 males alone in a pen? Can they stay alone for the most part except when they have their turn to mate? I totally know the hens will stop laying for at least a month if moved. I have 3 hens that are not BR but one lays a white egg, one a chocolate and one a pink--I know the BR eggs, just a medium brown. Looking forward to your input. Thanks, Kathy

I wish Fred. Out of all the eggs shipped last Spring I only got 2 F and 2 M. I have to go with what I have-- I'm hoping not to try shipped eggs again. We spoke last Spring about how hard these guys were to hatch--I had about 3 that died within days of hatch. Im hoping my own Pullets eggs will have a better success rate. I am going to just have BR come Fall--no other breeds. Its just to dang hard! I dont want to breed until March or April--so can the 2 Ks live alone, I will let them visit the girls but won't incubate any until the pullets are a bit older.

Lots of folks start with a trio. You have a trio and a spare K. From those birds, you can literally make 40-50 chicks with little difficulty. You got what you wanted and needed. A start. What is needed here, however, is a mentor.

I would strongly encourage getting a local mentor. There simply is too much that cannot be done via the internet. Handling the birds, judging the birds, etc. Finding someone local who will give you some pointers and oversee your progress in this fancy would be priceless. There are so many terrific poultry folks in Washington. Relationship building with one or two of these folks would be very, very helpful to you.

Ok Fred--I will look for a local fancier. I heartily thank you for my wonderful bird and for your help today. Take care and I'll let you know how things are going some months down the road. Happy New Year to you and your family!

Heritage Barred Rocks Rock!

Kathy, Fred is absolutely correct. Last year I was where you are now, and hatched 40 chicks from a single pair. Now I'm looking forward to meeting some local breeders to learn as much as I can from them. I found my regional breed club to be helpful in this regard. This line is a joy to work with and you are off to a good start. I'm looking forward to watching your flock's progress.

Thank you so much Uphill Jill. He is very right. I've seen some of your birds and they look very nice. We have some very local clubs here and I will contact them after the first. Happy New Year to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom