The Poop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by danamillette, Sep 25, 2008.

1. danamillette

danamillette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    Morning! This sounds strange, but I am new to being a chicken mommy! I love it and am probably over analyzing things [​IMG] My question is, what is the poop supposed to be like? This stems from my worries that they are eating/drinking enough. I suppose if there is poo, that they are getting enough to eat, but when I first got them, it seemed a bit runnier, and now seems dry. I have a trough feeder hanging in the coop at an acceptable height, but have yet to actually see them eat out of it. I also have the waterer in the coop as well. They were free ranging when I got them and are now in a run. I have tossed cupfuls of feed into the run and they gobble it up. Maybe they think it's a treat? I dont know, but they seem pretty ravenous when I do this. I also havent had any eggs in a few days. Any opinions?

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    There are a couple different types of chicken poo:

1. normal/typical - it's firm, brown with white urea (bird "pee") on it, and looks like it was excreted through a round nozzle

2. cecal - stinky, stinky, stinky! This is runny and you will know it when you see it. OMG it stinks. It comes from a loop in their intestines. Did I mention it smells bad? It's normal, too. Happens roughly every 5-6 poops.

3. bright green - indicates bird is not eating enough and dropping is green due to bile not being sufficiently diluted by excrement

4. diarhea - different from cecal because of frequency

5. bloody - indicates serious problem, potentially cocci

6. watery - indication of too many treats with high moisture content. My girls get this when they eat too many grapes.

1 person likes this.
  3. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    OMG... who knew I'd learn so much about chicken poo in a mere 5 months...?
    [​IMG]

4. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    JennsPeeps: Glad you responded to this question...I was wondering too. Explains a few things, thought mine were wormy or something. Paranoid I guess.

5. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:Glad to know there is a resident "Poopspert" [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I didn't add wormy to the list because I forgot about it. I haven't seen it, but have heard that wormy poop is pretty obvious due to the presence of, well, worms.

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

JennsPeeps, I think you answered about 2,547 peoples questions and worries about their chicken poo. [​IMG]

8. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Whoa. That was some interesting scoop on the poop!

I've never seen the show, but I've heard that there is a "Poop Expert" on one of the afternoon talk shows that comes on every so often talking about how your poop should look like... yikes! [​IMG]

I think the chicken poop expert is much more interesting. [​IMG]

9. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Wow that was helpful. I have 150 chickens running around, and I see every imaginable kind of poo! I was worried that soemthing might not be right with some of them, because of the vast differences I saw...but now, thanks to your fantastic explanations, I know that different poo is most likely just....different poo! Really, thank you for putting my mind at ease!

10. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Quote:No one can ever say that you don't know s---t. Great post I'm sure a lot of readers appreciated it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by