The Poop

danamillette

Songster
11 Years
Jul 16, 2008
Northern Wisconsin
Morning! This sounds strange, but I am new to being a chicken mommy! I love it and am probably over analyzing things
smile.png
My question is, what is the poop supposed to be like? This stems from my worries that they are eating/drinking enough. I suppose if there is poo, that they are getting enough to eat, but when I first got them, it seemed a bit runnier, and now seems dry. I have a trough feeder hanging in the coop at an acceptable height, but have yet to actually see them eat out of it. I also have the waterer in the coop as well. They were free ranging when I got them and are now in a run. I have tossed cupfuls of feed into the run and they gobble it up. Maybe they think it's a treat? I dont know, but they seem pretty ravenous when I do this. I also havent had any eggs in a few days. Any opinions?

There are a couple different types of chicken poo:

1. normal/typical - it's firm, brown with white urea (bird "pee") on it, and looks like it was excreted through a round nozzle

2. cecal - stinky, stinky, stinky! This is runny and you will know it when you see it. OMG it stinks. It comes from a loop in their intestines. Did I mention it smells bad? It's normal, too. Happens roughly every 5-6 poops.

3. bright green - indicates bird is not eating enough and dropping is green due to bile not being sufficiently diluted by excrement

4. diarhea - different from cecal because of frequency

5. bloody - indicates serious problem, potentially cocci

6. watery - indication of too many treats with high moisture content. My girls get this when they eat too many grapes.

JennsPeeps: Glad you responded to this question...I was wondering too. Explains a few things, thought mine were wormy or something. Paranoid I guess.

I didn't add wormy to the list because I forgot about it. I haven't seen it, but have heard that wormy poop is pretty obvious due to the presence of, well, worms.

Whoa. That was some interesting scoop on the poop!

I've never seen the show, but I've heard that there is a "Poop Expert" on one of the afternoon talk shows that comes on every so often talking about how your poop should look like... yikes!
ep.gif

I think the chicken poop expert is much more interesting.
lau.gif

Wow that was helpful. I have 150 chickens running around, and I see every imaginable kind of poo! I was worried that soemthing might not be right with some of them, because of the vast differences I saw...but now, thanks to your fantastic explanations, I know that different poo is most likely just....different poo! Really, thank you for putting my mind at ease!

Back
Top Bottom