The Pre and Post Egg Song

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by palochknldy, Jul 27, 2010.

1. palochknldy

palochknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Palo, Iowa
    I was lucky enough to be around before, during and after egg laying. Just thought I'd share this with you and you enjoy it as much as I did. I recorded the RIR the next day on my cell phone and now have it as my ring tone.

Mrs. Poon before laying an egg

Mrs. Poon rejoicing after laying an egg

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  2. MoSo

MoSo In the Wild Plum Yonder

I think your privacy setting are either set to "Friends" or "Friends of friends" so that the world at large can't hear these...

3. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

yeah, I couldn't access it either - would love to hear it though! I've never witnessed an "egg song".

Would you let us know if you change your settings so we can access it?

[​IMG] Melissa

4. palochknldy

Jun 7, 2010
    Palo, Iowa
    Sorry, trying to figure out how to post it so everyone can see. I'll keep trying.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Anybody that would like to hear an Egg Song, PM me your E-MAIL address, and I'll send you my Rebecca's 3 minute Egg Song from my phone.

6. palochknldy

Jun 7, 2010
    Palo, Iowa
    I just changed my link from the first post. Click on it and it will take you to youtube where I posted it. Enjoy!!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  7. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    DUMB question, do they practice singing this for weeks prior to laying their first egg? I have a black Australorp who sings these songs randomly all day long. I don't get excited anymore when I hear it, instead turning towards the coop and screaming LIAR!! (I love my chickens, but the first egg wait is excruciatingly painful!!!!)

ETA ~ Thank you for posting these songs. I thought that is what I had been hearing from my girls, but wasn't sure!!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Last month's Backyard Poultry magazine had an interesting article theorizing about the meaning of the egg song. Essentially, the author posits that the egg song is a variant of an alarm call. The idea is that sitting on a nest to lay puts the hen in a vulnerable position. So before she goes to sit, she sings this song to get the whole flock on alert. Any predators around here? Flush 'em out!

When she comes off the nest, she is vulnerable because she's been in there spaced out for a while. Similarly, she puts the whole flock on alert for danger.

I thought it was an interesting theory, and I've been watching my flock when they sing with this theory in mind. It seems to fit, because when they sing they do also seem to be looking around alertly.

9. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Oh goodness. We love the "egg song" One of our Sebrights was doing it the other day. Our TSC pullets do it fairly regularly too.

10. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    its so fun to hear songs coming from outside! sometimes the rooster will stomp around like his hair is on fire LOL

hahaha mrs. POON.. there is a name for the books!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by