The predators are really my neighbors, but...

Tell her you can't smell it so maybe she just needs to take a shower every now and then!
tongue2.gif

sorry I couldn't resist.

me? i'd put the pigs right on the property line... but i'm just mean like that.

geez sorry this is a hard thing. can you woo her with eggs? and what is she thinking that its YOUR skunk?

really really sorry - you'd think that people would realize they live in the country and that includes all the things that come with it.

in all seriousness i'd fence the heck out of the property line and 'be busy' if she tries to dump off the kid. if she's crabbing about this - what would happen if the child gets hurt on your watch?

If they are feeding strays and leaving cat food out - that's why they have skunks in their yard. I agree with the others that said (if you are legal) tell her you aren't getting rid of them and stick with it. I wouldn't have gotten rid of the composter, either.

I would have never given my composter away. Also, the catfood is probably attracting the skunks. I think she feels you will do anything now to get along with her. I definently would not babysit anymore either. If your chickens are legal too bad so sad for her.

You may not want to read this but................

By getting rid of the composter you are enabling this persons character issues.

There are a lot of people in this world who are just plain miserable people who feel the need to act exactly as this one is doing.
You are allowing her to use you for babysitting? Huh?
See a pattern here?

Next time she brings her daughter over let her know you do not have time to watch her.

Take a good guess what would happen if that girl got hurt at your house?
A parent that isn't like this one would thank you for taking care of her when she got hurt.
This one? She'd sue you for what ever she could get.

yes i know most home owner policies cover things like that but do you need the stress?

You are being used. Plain and simple.

Not just used, but ABUSED!

Fact is it is our own responsibility not to enable others to treat us this way.

If you were to get rid of your chickens I'd bet the farm in due time she'd find something else wrong.

Learn to use the word NO.
No, I'm not your babysitter.
No, the problem on my property you are smelling is not the chickens nor was it the composter and if by chance it was that isn't against the law with in reasonable amounts which it is.
No, I'm not getting rid of my chickens.

Either your neighbor is going to stop being the poor excuse for a human being and you can have a so so relationship or.......... what more then likely will happen is she no longer will speak to you.

I know that isn't a good way to live but that happens.

The alternative for you is to live a life enabling someone else to share their misery with you.

I think the right choice is very clear.

It's up to you though if you are ready to say NO!

You are very very very foolish to allow their child on your property. That is a lawsuit looking for a place to happen. Never babysit again. Time to learn how to say no, it's not convenient. None of their business why not, it's just not.

Check your laws and stand up for your rights. It will be bad enough if you stand up for yourself, a nightmare if you do not.

Excel is absolutely correct. Enough, and then some.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Yes, chickens are allowed here, up to 75. (But we only have four.)

No, I never agreed to babysit for her. They both work long hours, and when the kid gets locked out, her mom would tell her to come here. Without asking us. I couldn't leave an 11 year old girl out in the cold. But I guess if it happens again, I'll have to say no. Poor kid. Her parents are never around for her.

Yes, I guess you're all correct that I should not have gotten rid of the composter. But it's just my personality type to try to get along. I hate conflict. I want people to like me! But you're right, that can't always happen.

I just walked over to the other neighbors to see if any of them had problems with the chickens. They all said they enjoyed watching them. (One of them said, "oh, the b---- next door doesn't like the skunk smell?? That's my dog. Hm. Now I'm so glad she got sprayed!"

Anyway... I'll try to stick to my guns from now on. And just stop answering her phone calls. It's so stressful... but your posts sort of solidified my thought that there's nothing I can do to make her happy.

If there's skunks, it's her cat food attracting them.

I would tell her to but in a motion activated wildlife camera or a trap to find out what it is for sure. It's probably her stupid cats. No matter what, I wouldn't give up anything of mine: composter, chickens, dogs, etc if it was within my rights to have them!!

Dr. Phil says you teach people how to treat you and she's learned she can treat you like a doormat! She probably just doesn't like your chickens and is looking for a reason to get rid of them.

I would tell her, when she starts making your monthly payment to the bank she can tell you what to do on your property and untill then she can go.... well... you know. And then think of all the free time you will have. not having to babysit and worry what the neighbor might think about this or that!
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom