THE QUAIL ARE HATCHING! HELP!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by CaptainQwak, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Be extremely careful taking the baind aid off...you don't want to rip the skin off with it.

CaptainQwak and 007Sean like this.
  2. CaptainQwak

CaptainQwak Songster

Jun 5, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I will... didn’t press it down that hard so we could get it off easier.

KikisGirls and 007Sean like this.
  3. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    It's good to try and straighten their toes out as quickly as possible. The tendons and bones start hardening up quickly and they won't be condusive to bending back to the proper alignment. As already stated by @KikisGirls , be careful removing the band-aid or tape, as this can cause injury as well as ripping the skin.

CaptainQwak and KikisGirls like this.
  4. CaptainQwak

CaptainQwak Songster

Jun 5, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks so much... that’s why I wanted to do it quickly... the other two had straightened out nicely and he was still severely curled under. Was lagging very far behind the other two as a result. It seems to be working well to sort it out and he is walking fairly normally. I will be very careful removing it, promise!

5. CaptainQwak

CaptainQwak Songster

Jun 5, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oh, and I did give them some nutri-drench... thanks so much for reminding me @KikisGirls

KikisGirls likes this.
  6. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    I hatched two chicks recently that had what I thought were horribly crooked toes.
    I thought about "trying to fix them" soon after they hatched but I waited...they corrected themselves with in 24 hours.

CaptainQwak likes this.
  7. CaptainQwak

CaptainQwak Songster

Jun 5, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, the other two corrected after the first day... this one didn’t and was severely handicapped. He was running on the side of his leg and I felt intervention was needed.

I have a lame duck as a pet and wanted to spare this creature (and me) the hassle of dealing with that.

He is standing on his foot now, which is a big deal.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  8. CaptainQwak

CaptainQwak Songster

Jun 5, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    CF697CD6-C0E1-4760-BAF8-7A84577DF362.jpeg

Very pleased to report that the shoe came off this morning and he is now walking (and running) on his foot normally. The outer toe is still a little curled, but am sure it will straighten out over the next few days. To remove the shoe I soaked his whole foot in almond oil to loosen the adhesive and it just slid off with no pressure applied to his skin or toes. What a trooper.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    RosieR, KikisGirls and Sara L like this.
  9. CaptainQwak

CaptainQwak Songster

Jun 5, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Now to clean up after these slobs :barnie

RosieR, silly4buttons and KikisGirls like this.
  10. CaptainQwak

CaptainQwak Songster

Jun 5, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just wanted to post an update... all three quail are doing great and are nearly full grown. Gearing up to build them a coop this weekend.

One issue I wanted to share... despite making a second attempt with a “shoe” the third bird still has a twisted foot and will be permanently deformed.

In hindsight I should NOT have listened to the members who commented saying to leave it alone as it was too little too late by the time I realized I needed to do more. TRUST YOUR GUT and don’t listen to know-it-alls who spout their opinion on these forums based on zero actual knowledge of your situation.

I’m grateful that I got the bird walking on its foot, but if I’d been more aggressive in correcting it those first few days it may have made a difference.

Trying to look on on the bright side, at least I can more easily tell the brown ones apart. Lol. Sorry, Ned (#3).

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: