The Red Golden Pheasant: sad update, pg.2, post #15

Quote:
gig.gif
lau.gif

That's cool! Hope you get the other two. I got a pair of 1 year olds this spring. I looked under their brush yesterday and found 5 eggs. I'm hpoping the hen will start setting soon. Red Goldens are beautiful birds.

They're so pretty! I read somewhere that to tell the sexes, look at the eye color. Green=Male, Brown=Female

Well, as of this typing, we have just the one RGP chick. #2 pipped at the small end and apparently drowned, egg #3 was questionable when we candled on day 14 (but we tried it anyways) and it has done nothing...not even a pip.

Skip wasn't too happy but I explained about #2 probably wouldn't have been the healthiest of chicks if I had helped it and by the time I found it, it was too late. It had pipped, facing the back of the bator, and there was no way to see it.

I'm hoping I can get the 3 unfertile eggs replaced!
fl.gif

The single chick is healthy and has a set of lungs that must be 10 times it's overall size!
lau.gif
He/she gets very vocal whenever I check on it. It is all eyes and legs at this point and I dubbed it Popeye, in hopes of it being a male. Skip said he needed a good pirate name (
roll.png
) my reply, "Popeye was a sailor man!".
lau.gif

Dawn

Popeye, the lone RGP, was buried this morning. I have no idea what happenned as he was fine when I last checked on him before going to bed.

Sigh...don't think I'm going to bother trying to hatch any more RGP's for now. Will wait until we move to AR and maybe order chicks as we'll have 30 acres to play with on the family farm.

Man, what a way to start the day...
hit.gif

Dawn

Thanks,

Things like that happens a lot and I mean...its hard to control and its such a bummer! I understand how you feel. But look on the bright side, you got others to work with and yeah.

By the way, I think you have built some REALLY nice looking coops. Your pets sure do have a lovely home : )

- Tommy

Back
Top Bottom