The "refrigerator egg" thread

I will candle and photo my refrig embryo tonight. It IS so cool! My hen got off the nest last night to relieve herself lmbo and I caight her....she got all flustered
I gave her some food and water. Their nest box is real big. Its a tote that I used for their 1st brooder when I got them.lol

I bought some eggs today from a store that sells local eggs. I am a total newbie so when I brought them home, I cracked one open to see if it's fertile and cracked another egg from my fridge that is just a plain jane cheapo wal mart egg so not fertile in the slightest. Technically these are refrigerator eggs! You guys want to weigh in on whether they are fertile or not?

Thanks!

You know I was just thinking... The duck eggs I have in right now, I pulled out from under about three inches of snow that had been there for two days.. I guess that's even colder than refrigeration!

I don't expect my wal mart egg to be fertile. The other one in the picture came from somewhere else. I just put the wally world one in there to compare the two.

Oh yeah I saw that too. I would be really surprised to find a fertile egg at wal mart. If there was ever a place that sold factory farm eggs from chickens in tiny cages, that's where I would expect to find them. I wasn't sure if you were talking about my pic or the other reference to a wal mart egg!

While I am typing...I have some "real" eggs coming on sunday. They will be ready to set when I get them as they are not shipped. My eggs that I got today say they were packaged on the 19th. They will be okay til sunday, right? They are in a room that is about 68 degrees. I could move them to a room that is more like 65 if needed. I am so excited. I keep going over and peeking at them. I just want to pick them up and cuddle their little potential chicken selves. I so can't wait to get my eggs from the breeder so we can get this show on the road!

Sorry for the confusion. A couple of pages back someone said they got eggs with developed chicks in them.I had to throw the flag on that one.
It's happened to me on multiple occasions. If it hadn't then I might not believe it either but it has. Once was from a carton that had just been put out while I was standing there.

I always say never say never just that I would be pretty surprised. About the most exciting thing that has ever happened to me is once I cracked an egg into something that I was making and it cracked too easily...almost a POP as I cracked it and then there was just a whiff of a smell....had to throw the whole works out and start over.

There's still a HUGE chance someone messed with it before it reached the store. PETA members are ALWAYS trying to go undercover at farms and slaughterhouses, JUST to catch someone doing something mean to the animal, so they can boycott the end user of the meat or eggs far down the line. Those photos and videos you see on TV are few and far between, but spend enough time searching for those people and yeah you can make a nice collection of them for a TV commercial.

So it could have happened right there at the farm where the eggs were gathered. It could have happened at the Wal-mart distribution center. Or it could have happened in the back of the store (you'd be surprised what happens in the back of a walmart... or maybe you wouldn't). These animal rights activists have all of these "low-level" jobs to access that kind of stuff. I mean, who the hell else would hire them?

"What was your last job, ma'am?"
"Throwing flour on celebrities for wearing real fur."
"You're hired!"

Back
Top Bottom