The "refrigerator egg" thread

Also have 2 freshly laid eggs under the broody hen that are developing well. I do have other eggs in the refrigerator that can be hatched and have not been washed. White silkies, but I dont have an incubator, nor do I have the time for incubating. I am a college student and it is getting very hard to do coursework going back and forth to the library. Cant wait for the computer!

My other refrigerated egg continues to develop under my broody hen. So excited for a happy outcome for that egg! Had another egg stop developing but it was a freshly laid one that I had put under the hen. Still have 8 eggs in incubation at one stage or another...:D

Good! I pulled a couple from my fridge today and put them in the closet with my AM egg I got yesterday. I'm hoping I'll have Marans eggs in time to out them all in together, but if not these will go in at the end of the week. We'll see.

I need to check on mine as soon as I steal my small flashlight BACK from my nephews!

I think I'm losing a lot of my eggs after that temperature spike. :-(

They were fine immediately after, but I think it is taking it's toll now.

Sorry if I missed this in the thread but what about ordering eggs then putting them on in the fridge for a bit then hatching them. Reason being is the breeds I want I have to order from seperate individuals and they will arrive at different times. Want to set them all on the same day so just curious how this would work?

Sorry if I missed this in the thread but what about ordering eggs then putting them on in the fridge for a bit then hatching them. Reason being is the breeds I want I have to order from seperate individuals and they will arrive at different times. Want to set them all on the same day so just curious how this would work?
My two cents: I would just store them in a cool place, personally (I store mine low in my bathroom closet- it's cool down low an I know that's the most humid room). Being in the fridge doesn't "prolong" their pre-bator life; they still need to be set within a week to ten day or so of laying for best results.

Last edited:
The ones in the supermarket definitely won't. Yeah the embryo could probably survive the refrigeration, but they definitely aren't fertile. Keep in mind that commercial egg producers keep only hens, and they squish them into tiny cages where the hens can't move around, MUCH less get out and breed with a rooster.
That bears the question of why I've had dead chicks in store bought eggs before. I KNOW it has happened at least twice, possibly three times in the last five years!! LOL!! Things that make you go HUMM.

What darn store are YOU shopping at? I'm going to stay the heck away from that one!

What darn store are YOU shopping at? I'm going to stay the heck away from that one!
Okay. I have a friend at work who SWEARS this has happened to her too. I want to know, it kills me! It can't be from a large chain store, it just can't!

I also know someone who sells food eggs and swears I couldn't sell mine for food bc I have rooster(s). I just can't get through that the roo being here doesn't automatically make babies, and that it IS okay to eat a "fertile" egg, lol.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom