The Rhodebar thread!

Pics
Just thought I would post a updated picture of my 2 Rhodebar @ RIR mix chicks...... This pullet and Roo are now 8 weeks old...

Now I wait until they are grown mate back to the roo rhodebar and RIR hen.....

Just keep the pullet, you don't need the cockerel. Breed the pullet back to her father and continue your project from there.

Do you only have the pair? I would keep hatching more eggs in hopes of more pullets to use.

Just keep the pullet, you don't need the cockerel. Breed the pullet back to her father and continue your project from there.

Do you only have the pair? I would keep hatching more eggs in hopes of more pullets to use.
yes, for the time being these are the only two...the rir hens are laying only every so often..will hatch more closer to spring when they get more regular

why would you say that? Pullets can only pass their Barring(which this pullet lacks by the way) gene to males, while males pass their barring gene to both gender?

Breeding the pullets back to the Rhodebar parent roo would be the "fastest" way to produce more Rhodebars... if that's his only goal.

That was my point, to correct faults breeding F1 to F1 would be better, or even outcrossing again to RIR... but I don't know the goal of his project.

Breeding the pullets back to the Rhodebar parent roo would be the "fastest" way to produce more Rhodebars...
Breeding a RBxRIR rooster over a Heritage RIR would be the fastest way to improve the Rhodebar breed, he just need to keep the wiltype looking chicks, and cull the wheaten looking chicks, breed siblings that showed wildtype chick down at hatch(the barred ones) to each other, and be on the look out for doulbe barred males...with wildtype chick down

on the first pic shown by western edge today, I see a few wildtype looking chick down birds(the ones with eye stripes) and these are e+/eWh heterozygotes, or e+/ey recessive wheaten more than likely, this makes it easy to spot those wildtype looking birds and the homozygous wheaten(ey or eWh) chick down birds

Back
Top Bottom