The Rhodebar thread!

I will post some pics of my 2 cocks as chicks and adults when I can get some pics tomorrow. Curious about the barring on the chicks... Time for more F1 pics this weekend.

I will post some pics of my 2 cocks as chicks and adults when I can get some pics tomorrow. Curious about the barring on the chicks... Time for more F1 pics this weekend.

I am not seeing any type of barring on the chicks that appear to be female to me in my second F1 hatch either, only on the ones that appear to be male. The coloring in the front of these females reminds me of the orange leakage you get on black sex-link chick using a RIR over a BPR, that funky orange color that I so hate, lol.

Penny

No. .. I'm certain the males are double barred, and no lacing.
I need to get some current pics of my roos but here is a pic of one of my hens - single barred, no lacing. She needs a lot of work but I believe the feathering is correct. This is kind of a strange angle because she looks like she has a big cushion and in reality she does not. But this pic shows feathering so I thought I'd share.
yeah I see Barring there, its Faint but visible.

Some of my Rhodebar boys I hatched yesterday. The three are are also in the other pic. Just to show their shades. I want to keep two of them for breeding, the others will go to freezer camp or will be given away.Those seem to be the five nicest ones. But which are the two best , shouldi keep the lighter or darker ones? I can make more pics if needed

Some of my Rhodebar boys I hatched yesterday. The three are are also in the other pic. Just to show their shades. I want to keep two of them for breeding, the others will go to freezer camp or will be given away.Those seem to be the five nicest ones. But which are the two best , shouldi keep the lighter or darker ones? I can make more pics if needed

Wow they are all so different. Are they all the same parents?
Do you have pics of the parents at hatch and today? That may help decide.
But... If these were mine hers what I would do...
I would mark that darkest one as my highest potential - he is not only the darkest but the most easily autosexed. Don't breed the yellow regardless. Then watch as they mature... Make sure that darkest wuth the largest head spot matures with the correct feathering. Then go from there.
What did the females look like in this hatch? Did they vary this much also? Would you mind posting pics of them?

Wow they are all so different. Are they all the same parents?
Do you have pics of the parents at hatch and today? That may help decide.
But... If these were mine hers what I would do...
I would mark that darkest one as my highest potential - he is not only the darkest but the most easily autosexed. Don't breed the yellow regardless. Then watch as they mature... Make sure that darkest wuth the largest head spot matures with the correct feathering. Then go from there.
What did the females look like in this hatch? Did they vary this much also? Would you mind posting pics of them?
I agree with you

Those are the "rejects" which I think are all boys.

Here are the girls , sorted lightest to darkest. Hope I can work with them all. I should be able to get some RIR chicks that I can put in with a secondary rooster to work on the improvement of color.

Last edited:
Those are the "rejects" which I think are all boys. Here are the girls , sorted lightest to darkest. Hope I can work with them all. I should be able to get some RIR chicks that I can put in with a secondary rooster to work on the improvement of color.
The first pullet is too light. If it were me I'd keep the darkest three and the darkest cockerel and cull the others. Then I would breed one more generation before you cross any RIR in only because to many are showing very poor autosexing and that could really toy with your RIR out crossing. You need to start with what you know is excellent autosexing if you are going to out cross and try to retain it. Just my opinion. I'm a little concerned about the genetics you are starting with if that many can't be sexed. If they were 100% Rhodebar then all of them should be easily autosexed. That is not meant as an offense, just an observation trying to help.

Last edited:
The first pullet is too light.
If it were me I'd keep the darkest three and the darkest cockerel and cull the others. Then I would breed one more generation before you cross any RIR in only because to many are showing very poor autosexing and that could really toy with your RIR out crossing. You need to start with what you know is excellent autosexing if you are going to out cross and try to retain it.
Just my opinion.
I'm a little concerned about the genetics you are starting with if that many can't be sexed. If they were 100% Rhodebar then all of them should be easily autosexed. That is not meant as an offense, just an observation trying to help.
No offense taken. I am starting to think that they might have thrown in other eggs since some of them were very pretty much cream colored. I will throw in the pullet with the other layers, this way I can get some use out of her and the other reject will be culled once they are big enough to eat. I might get some more eggs from another breeder and hatch more of them. The breeder I got them from claimed that they were from Greenfire and Huckleberry farms lines. I will try a pure GF line.

Ok, here is what I did and will do. I temp. marked the roos with some bands I made from painters tape and numbered them. Just for giggles I picked a lighter one too, then the two medium ones with large spots and a darker one. I will take pics every week of them to see their progress in color. I have my 12 year old daughter do a spread sheet on the computer to help me with that. I also marked the three girls I will keep for breeding and will do the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom